Questions about Intel Quad Cores...

evnglion

Dec 7, 2008
So... I have been sitting on my current computer since late 2002, and it has served me very well, but its time to build a new one. I ordered all my components this afternoon, so I am stoked. I do have a question though, as the processor marketplace is a bit different than it was last time I was hardware shopping.

I decided to go with the Q8200 since its using the 45nm process, and seems to be a step up from the Q6600 (I am not gonna overclock this box right away).

I noticed that this is a 64 bit processor. Does this mean I need to have a 64 bit version of Windows to get all the performance out of it? I hate that I ordered everything and didn't notice this before hand. If I *do* have to get a new copy of Windows, does everything else function the same? Does 64 bit windows run all the apps that run on legacy copies of XP, or do I need to start searching for 64 bit programs as well? Is it possible to install my normal copy of XP pro SP3 and just use the processor in 32 bit mode? If I did that, would I expect lower performance in gaming, or multitasking?

I am basically looking for someone to fill in the gaps in my 64-bit computing knowledge, as this will be the first time I have dealt with it. Or if anyone has a link handy that kinda goes over all this for me, that would be great.

Just in case, the parts I ordered are...

Intel Q8200 Core 2 Quad
Asus P5N-D Motherboard (Nvidia 750i chipset, SLi ready)
2x MSI N9600GT 512M OC GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
8gb CORSAIR (4 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 TWIN2X4096-6400C5
COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified

Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can offer.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Well, since you ordered 8GB of ram, you're going to want to go 64bit. The maximum amount of memory that can be recognized by any 32bit Windows OS is 4GB (2^32 bytes).

64bit has some slight speed improvements over 32, but the main reason people go to 64bit is to support over 4GB of memory.

Almost all applications work fine on Vista 64 bit. The only thing you can potentially run into problems with are drivers, as these have to be written in 64bit natively. All common hardware has 64bit drivers today.

Vista 64bit user myself.

evnglion

Dec 7, 2008
haha... well, thats good to know. TY for a speedy reply...

So, if I were so inclined... 64bit WinXP Pro should be fine as well? I have tinkered with Vista a tiny bit, but I think for now I would want to stick with XP if at all possible.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
I havent used XP 64bit myself but all indications are that it is vastly inferior to Vista 64bit. Basically due to a lack of drivers for it and lacking software support. Almost everyone who uses 64bit uses Vista.

EDIT: Vista is not nearly as bad as many make it out to be. Almost all the major issues with it have been fixed through service packs and patches.

Anosh

Oct 30, 2006
I feel I have to add my opinion here =)

I went from:
Pentium 4 820D
1GB 667Mhz DDR2

to:
i7 920
6GB 1600Mhz currently at 1066Mhz

just last week.
With the Pentium I was running XP cause Vista was to much for the processor or I didn't have enough ram for it.
But with i7 and 6GB Vista 64bit is running faster than XP ever did.

People haven't realized how good Vista (64) is because people simply don't have the hardware it requires.
I say this because I was one of those who refused to move from XP! Which was the correct choice with the previous hardware!

evnglion

Dec 7, 2008
Thanks a lot master yoda, and ty too Anosh. So, even though my new computer won't be pushing quite the raw numbers that yours does Anosh, you think its got enough firepower to run vista with no problems? I really want it to feel like a performance increase inside and outside of gaming, considering the cash I dropped. Vista looks nice and all... but I don't want it to feel as sluggish as the early-vista machine I played with.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: evnglion
you think its got enough firepower to run vista with no problems?

Without a doubt. And, like yoda said, you won't be able to even use your 8GB of DDR2 unless you go to a 64-bit OS and XP64 is pretty low on driver support. Just get a copy of Vista64 Home Premium for $100 and you're gtg.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Vista x64 is what you want for your system ;)

There will be nothing sluggish about Vista x64 with your new system.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
I'm running an AMD X2 5200 @3.15GHz and 6GB of Ram with Vista 64 and it runs at least as fast as XP did.

Twsmit

Nov 30, 2003
Vista x64 ftw. Very fast especially with 4GB+ of ram. Like the others said, XP 64-bit is not a good idea due to the lack of driver support. It's hard enough getting Vista x64 drivers for printers and scanners that are a few years old.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Definitely go with Vista. Superfetch alone is the key reason to get it -- windows and programs load in a flash compared with XP, and the included windows defender is very good too. Then download the free avira antivirus and you're covered.

bharatwaja

Dec 20, 2007
Vista x64 ftw..... unless you've got a 10 yr old printer/scanner (then definitely you need a new printer)...

Most printers from 2004 have driver support for vista x64. Besides you might wanna think about application compatibility issues, since you've been using the same PC for 6 yrs, I have a feeling you might have grown fond of some legacy apps, well, if they dont work, you can always look at newer sexier alternatives [:p]

But now that you have ordered 8GB of ram, there is really no debating about using Vista x64 if you want windows....

Nice rig btw... just curious, you haven't mentioned anything about the Hard drive....
Oh, and welcome to Anandtech Forums!

BoboKatt

Nov 18, 2004
Yah you beat me to it. I was going to say I love everything about Vista 64 but my HP Laserjet 1000 simply WONT work on that. Also if you like wireless and have some older Dlink wireless card... I swear Dlink sucks and refuses to support their wireless cards. However after installing Vista 64, one of my wireless cards was automatically supported (recognized as its chip type only) and worked well. The other I had to actually do the updates and again Vista wins!

There are some really lazy hardware companies not doing their part... anyhow Vista 64 and don't look back if you got the goods to run it.