Questions about existing MMORPGs

EvilManagedCare

Nov 6, 2004
I've played AoC since launch and have a level 44 Guardian. I understand this is still relatively early in the game. However, on my server it is damned near impossible to find groups for instances (I play on Wiccana). I don't know if it's a product of a dying server, crappy LFG interface and broken chat channels or both. I've not grouped with anyone before, so it's not a case of people not wanting to group with me because I suck.

Anyway, I am looking for a new MMORPG to play. I will not return to WoW which I played until moving to AoC. WAR does not interest me much because it seems to be mainly PvP, which I don't care for.

So I was looking at Lord of the Rings Online or possible D&D Online. I played the former for about 2 months after it was released and enjoyed it, but it couldn't cure my WoW addiction at the time so I quit.

So in terms of both, how is the high level content? Are there several raid instances to play? Both titles have been out for a long time, is it still possible to find groups for the lower-level instances when necessary?

Thanks for the help. I have tried searching the forums for those titles on their respective sites, but really can't find an answer. Plus, you have to reactivate your account to post.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
A tank that cant get a group? thats odd. On my server (Dagoth) the two most highly sought after toons are tanks and healers. I see calls for them all the time in OOC chat. Not in just the high levels neither. They seem to be in demand at all levels. Its a PvE server though so not sure if that makes a difference or not. My L39 Guard is always being asked to group with someone. I guess the next big (does the finger quote gesture) MMO is going to be WAR. The jury is still out on that one though. Official launch is next month. You might want to take a hard look at it when it does.

EvilManagedCare

Nov 6, 2004
I think on Wiccana there may be an overabundance of tanks. Regardless, I'm not sure people are looking for groups in general.

natebigdawg

Jul 21, 2008
I would highly suggest that you take another look at LOTRO. I don't know how long it has been since you tried it but they have released two new very large areas in all free updates. Since its launch, they have been really good on adding content and as many know, they had a complete opposite launch from AoC with much fewer issues. I just started playing LOTRO about 5 months ago and right off bought a lifetime subscription. I really feel that i will be playing this one for quite awhile...

As for Endgame, I am just getting to those levels with my 4 characters and I am looking forward to it. There are many active kinships that do raids and things but I have yet to participate in the big raids. A lot of people like the Monster play aspect but I have just barely tried that out. I do see alot of grouping going on for the book quests which involve a lot of instances from level 10 - 50 but i have found that people are really mature in the game and will help out even if they dont need the quest.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I quit playing LOTRO around December of last year, but it was a lot of fun. Like many other said already, it was much better at launch than AoC and most other MMO and the content updates were pretty regular.

My main problems with it were the wipe-fail dynamic along with long-standing bugs and balance issues that were slow to be fixed. Oftentimes, new problems were introduced in the patches and weren't fixed until the next patch months later! They've since started releasing hot fix patches a few weeks after content updates, which is good.

For end-game, there was enough to keep a person interested for a few months with 2 major raids and a bunch of 6-man instances. Before 50 there's tons of quests and instances that are worthwhile for both exp and gear, and they're mostly fun too. :) Here's the instances that really stick out for me:

1) Helegrod - 24-man instance with 4 main parts, 3 mini-bosses and 1 arch nemesis Thorog. The Thorog battle was tweaked numerous times and from V.2 onward was one of the most fun and challenging fights I've experienced in any PC game. Many kinships could not kill Thorog, with typically 1 per server able to take it down. Loot was quickly dated however, making the challenging and long instance (many kinships did it over the span of 2-3 days) less worthwhile over time. I believe the gear was updated slightly, but due to the time and number of people required, I think it still takes a back seat nowadays.

2) The Rift - 12-man instance with 7-8 parts, lots of mini-bosses and 1 Balrog Arch Nemesis. Not as fun as Helegrod/Thorog imo, but was somewhat challenging the first run through. This really embodied the main problem I had with LOTRO though, the wipe-fail game dynamic that prevented advancement beyond a certain point. This all stems from the limited number of combat-rezzes available in the game and certain checkpoints in the instance being 1-way, 1-time only so that you can't go back if you fail. Loot made Helegrod all but obsolete.

3) Carn Dum/Urugarth. VERY long 6-man instances. Lots and lots of fat in here, when I mean fat, I mean useless, boring crap mobs that you have to chew through to get to the fun/challenging/worthwhile fights. Carn Dum is fun experience although it got real old real fast when the drop items weren't 100% and you had to roll against your entire fellowship.....

4) Annuminas - Three 6-man instances that were added in a content update. Very challenging, but not much fat. Turbine clearly learned from their mistakes with Carn Dum and Urugarth and designed these instances much better, but the loot was pretty weak.

There's a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Overall lots of fun, if you like PvE and raiding this game has quite a bit of it to keep you interested for at least a few months. Its a great looking game and has some of the best polish/features/accessibility/options of any game around.

Danwar

May 30, 2008
i Second the LOTRO Advice.

i quit WoW a few months ago to come to lotro and im loving it

EvilManagedCare

Nov 6, 2004
Thanks for the responses thus far everyone. LoTRO is looking like a contender should I leave AoC, about which I shall decide in a couple days. I know in WoW it has become very difficult to find groups for the early instances. Is LoTRO suffering the same fate?