Questions about bullets.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
For you cops and people who know about guns, I have a question. I know nothing about guns, so if I use the wrong terminology, I'm sorry. From what I understand, rubber bullets are used sometimes because they cause pain, but no real injury (is that true BTW?).

But I heard that is some crowd controls they use rubber-coated metal bullets. I would think that a metal bullet, even covered with rubber, would still be as dangerous as a regular bullet. Is this true? How much more dangerous is it than rubber bullets? Thanks.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Rubber coated metal bullets? That would be a new one on me. If fired at the same velocity as their standard ammunition counterpart, than a rubber coating wouldn't do much in the way of preventing serious injury or death.

Russ, NCNE

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
That's what I was thinking, too. I heard this on NPR this morning, and it doesn't make sense.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The bullets are actually made of very hard rubber with no metal. They are usually used in conjuction with teargas and mace to help disperse crowds. They hurt like hell when they do hit. Ideally they are non lethal and cause no permanant damage but like any projectile weapon things can go wrong. Someone shot somewhere like the eye will lose it.

Windogg

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< I heard this on NPR this morning, and it doesn't make sense. >>

That explains it.

Russ, NCNE

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Rubber bullets are just as lethal as their lead counterparts when fired at close range into someone's head. There's an excellent chance that I'm mistaken, but I believe that a few rioters/protestors have been killed by rubber bullets to the face.

Viper GTS