Question: Why is it that consoles can run games that more powerful PCs cant?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Ben, What games have used the SPE's on the cell?

KZ2, GT5, UC, UC2- pretty much anything exclusive is going to use them along with any port that uses multiple cores on the other systems. How heavily they are used has come down to the particular title, UC2 being the only one that I am aware of that is using all of the cores.

I haven't seen updated information on this point in a while, but for all the theoretical power of the cell, games on the PS3 basically use the general processor and the GPU with the SPE's doing nothing. SUpposedly they were capable of doing physics calculations but I've read nothing concrete on that point.

Any game that uses more then two cores on the PC wouldn't run at all if it only used the PPE on Cell. Cell's cores are powerful, but they aren't 3x more powerful then a multi core PC chip per core. As far as confirmation on the SPEs handling physics, it has been explicitly documented since around a year prior to the launch of the PS3. You aren't likely to see updates as it is a given and very simplistic to do(it is very straightforward).

So the PS3 despite high raw computational power ends up not being a greatly efficient gaming platform as it has a relatively weak general processor and very weak graphics processor. NO amount of overhead on the PC and tweaking for PC can bridge the gap that has been growing since the ps3 was released.

This seems to be where people are having a disconnect. PC games have been in a decline in terms of visual quality since Crysis. The high point for PC graphics was 2 years ago. The technology can increase by orders of magnitude over what we have now, if devs don't use it all it is going to give you is more AA/AF, not better game graphics(just cleaner).

I even compared rainbow 6 vegas 2

As I have mentioned, repeatedly, every port is going to look better on the PC. Every. Single. One. If a game is capable of running on the PC, it isn't using everything the consoles offer and vice versa. The only way to compare the capabilities is by looking at the platform exclusives- for any of the systems.

You also have to take into account that pretty much every game on both the consoles and PC looks better on the PC.

And that won't change with this generation for certain. Anything that can run on the PCs is going to have an edge if you have higher end hardware as the code base needs to be able to run on lower end PCs. Anything that can run across multiple platforms is never going to push any particular platform to its' peak potential.

You are using conditional language for all of this. UC2 "would" use all core? The point isn't use of cores, the point is effective use of cores and effective use of computational power. A lengthy article (chip architect i believe) explained that Cell was a massively powerful processor for specialized computational needs BUT NOT for gaming. Following up articles that I've read have stated developers find coding to use the cell's SPE's.

Also, the theoretical computational power of cell being theoretically used as a graphics processor is WORTHLESS when you consider the fact that the computational power of the latest ati/nvidia gpu's dwarfs cell AND is specialized for graphics.

So empirically and theoretically, PC >>>> console.

Also, I don't own a PS3 but it's my understanding that equivalent xbox360/ps3 games look better on Xbox360. 360 has the more powerful gpu.... not a big surprise.

Cell actually is very powerful for graphics (particularly ray-tracing) and beats out conventional architectures by a long shot. Not so much due to the power of its cores, but due the speed of the caches (or scratch ram, whatever it's called) that the cores have available. Graphics rendering is all about the GB/s, and conventional architectures don't provide the bandwidth, even in cache, to support it.

But the thing is, graphics chips are even better at graphics. The ps3 is hampered with a tragically weak graphics chip, especially in the area of vertex processing (where the cell excels). But on a PC, Directx10 (maybe even Dx9) can be used to do just about everything cell is being used for in games, and faster. Not all games do though, I'd bet money on GTA4 offloading much of it to the cpu. And to be honest, the dynamic landscape of gta4 would be difficult to implement in dx9 hardware, and since they didn't bother to support dx10, well it explains the poor performance (even though high end quads have no trouble with the game at this point, unless you crank view distance up well beyond what the consoles are doing).
Ghostbusters on the PC had the same problem, it wasn't even taking full effect of DX9 hardware. Well, the same is likely true to the console versions, they're pretty ugly.

Right now, we're in a similar situation as we were last gen. The PC has the APIs and the hardware to handle so much more, but the consoles are holding it back. The last gen of consoles kept things at the DX6/7/8 level (depending on what console it was ported from), this gen is keeping things at the DX8/9 level. The huge FLOPs potential of the console cpus is causing devs to program games as if they were still dealing with fixed function hardware, and ignore the vertex shaders of the gpus. On the PS3, this is because the Cell is more powerful at vertex shading, and on the 360 it's because it supports features beyond DX9 (and tessellation is even beyond dx10), so when the games are ported to the PC they use cpu routines to accomplish the same effects.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Ben, What games have used the SPE's on the cell?

KZ2, GT5, UC, UC2- pretty much anything exclusive is going to use them along with any port that uses multiple cores on the other systems. How heavily they are used has come down to the particular title, UC2 being the only one that I am aware of that is using all of the cores.

have serious doubts that any game loads the all cells up in any significant way esp for core game play. i doubt the issues of lag that come up when dealing with splitting up an engine that way would make it viable. not sure what mind blowing physx like task those games are doing that would be showing off the cell anyways. if you load up all the cells and it still looks no better than the 360 i'm not sure that means anything.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
So, to add some comments then to correct interpretations, one has to remember this is a two year old game.

That point is that everything in that screenshot outside some of the foliage looks poor. Not stellar, not incredible, not very good, not even mediocre, poor. It is a profoundly bad example unless you are trying to show off resolution or foliage. Crysis can do much better then that.
Let me try to reiterate my point differently, I don't think I got it across. Those are all graphical techniques that are available on a console. The comparison is how MUCH of it there is - consoles can't do that. Seeing this environment in motion is incredible, it looks the best any game ever produced. When you break it down, it's not that complicated, but the fact that so much is included at once makes the game shine. Therefore, the screenshot shows the strongest benefit of PC's over consoles: that they can take the same techniques and do so much more with it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at - that PC games are only great when they show the advancements that only PC's have? Well sure, that's obvious, but that wasn't the OP's question. I'm interested to hear what you would consider impressive in Crysis as it relates the consoles.

Consoles can do complex models, that's actually how they give an illusion of decent graphics - create a very detailed character model or weapon model that's on screen most of the time and divert attention from the horrible environments.

It is shocking you would bring that up along with this screenshot. The trees, rocks, water and fog all look terrible in this screenshot- exactly what you are stating the consoles are doing. BTW- check out UC2, the character models are actually sub par, it's the environments that have everyone talking.
Read above, I think I answered that first part. And no idea what UC2 is (don't follow consoles), can you write out the whole game name? And as I stated, no wonder everyone's talking about it - they finally strayed from the norm. What will be interesting is to see what kind of performance it gets.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003

UC2 ships in two week, demo is out now. It does use all cores, but the game isn't at retail level atm, hence, would.

I'm not sure this means anything . It uses all the cores? For what? To what percentage? NO offense, but you never seem to say anything concrete about what is being done .

If that is what the article stated, they were very wrong. Anand once stated that Cell was only as powerful as a P4 1.4GHZ, everyone laughed at him so badly he pulled the article. Prior to the PS3 launching a whole bunch of people said there were a whole bunch of things Cell wasn't any good at, and they kept being proven wrong. It is far more difficult to extract peak performance out of Cell then out of the other offerings, but it without a doubt can and is used for gaming in extremely useful purposes. As developers continue to gain experience with the chip, they continue to show new ways to leverage the raw power of Cell. A generalized example- Rage uses streaming from media due to its Megatexturing technology. The PS3's optical drive is fairly slow(normal for BRD) so at first it appeared that this was going to hamper the performance on that platform. Then Carmack realized that if he used the SPEs to decode data from the BRD he could compress the data at a higher rate then he could on the other platforms and achieve significantly improved performance due to this. Not something you would normally think of when talking about gaming processors, but that is how you work with consoles- figuring out how to use all of your available resources, not trying to use simple minded brute force as you are forced to do on open platforms.

Again, what does this say? I read this paragraph as meaning "cell is an impressive architecture." I agree. It's just not as good at graphics as graphics chips AND THAT's the bottom line with .... graphics. Cell can be used for physics, that's nice. Can be used to decode data? Nice again. HOw this aids the OP's stance is .... well let me just say it does not.

That would all be swell, if we weren't talking about a game that came out in 2007 as being the best looking PC title still. Developers are not using the superior features of the PC. That is the reality of the situation. It is great in theory that the PC can do tons of things that the consoles couldn't dream of. I don't play theories, I play games.

That's not the point. THe point is that PC is >>>> consoles graphically. Let me put it this way.

Peak graphics (best to best). Crysis is better than anything consoles have period.
Same engines (UT3 for example) - PC runs any game with the ut3 engine BETTER than consoles.

Take resident evil 5. IT's a very good looking game on consoles. Every review of the PC version states that the devs HARNESSED the greater power of the PC to put out the best looking version of the game. Remember, ATI has put incredible graphics power at the $100 range with the 4770/4850 and nvidia has followed suit with the 250. Even playing to what is the relative mean THE PC >>> consoles. You speak often that the PC is not fully utlized and this is true... except to the extent crysis did bring high end pc's to their knees but let' snot digress. The more important point is this: Even when aimed at middling pc hardware, the pc version of games are the best looking. Again, read the op's title saying consoles can run games that more powerful PC's can't.... simply WRONG.

So.... once again, the OP is simply wrong.

Ports tend to, exclusives tend to look better on the PS3. If you push the PS3 hard, it won't run on the 360 because you are going to be pushinig more on to the CPU then the 360 can handle. The 360 exclusives don't show as much of an improvement as it mainly focuses on leveraging the GPU which on a relative basis doesn't have the same level of disparity that the CPUs have.

Wouldn't a PS3 exclusive look better on the PS3 because it's a ps3 exclusive?

In every apples to apple comparison of games on 360 v ps3, the 360 version was better (that i've seen, can't say i've read them all). IIRC there was a review of fallout 3 graphics on pc, 360, ps3. The order was PC >>>>>> 360 >> ps3.

The point you are missing has been stressed by many people in this thread, i.e., the graphics processor matters the most. I'm not knocking Cell and I have nothing against consoles, but PC versions of games look better on even current mid range hardware.

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
Originally posted by: MrK6
/thread

/thread

note: haven't really sorted my crysis folder...

altho, THIS is the one that mainly sticks out to me

note2: i have no interest in playing crysis until any of my close friends say "!@$!@, this is a fun game!"

aequasi

Sep 30, 2009
haha well I enjoyed crysis and i thought it as fun, but then 70 other games came out like Modern Warefare and crysis got pushed under the rug. now what im really wondering, is if they remade UC2 for the pc... how would it do... (just goina point out now, that im being sarcastic.)

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Don't have time to reply properly atm, but wanted to at least cover what UC2 was- Unchartered 2.
Thanks, I've seen this game, just didn't recognize the abbreviation. The environments are different from traditional console games, but only superficially it appears. They still look/feel claustrophobic. It seems like the cut draw distance to increase the horsepower available to draw more detailed surroundings (reminds me of splinter cell way back when).
Originally posted by: plonk420
Originally posted by: MrK6
/thread

/thread

note: haven't really sorted my crysis folder...

altho, THIS is the one that mainly sticks out to me

note2: i have no interest in playing crysis until any of my close friends say "!@$!@, this is a fun game!"
Cool shot :). It looks like you're using a graphics mod (judging by the lighting)? Which one is it?

garritynet

Oct 3, 2008

What it comes down to is that console games are meant to be played on the couch, ten feet away from the TV while relaxing.

PC games are meant to be played two feet away from a 30" monitor, leaned slightly forward and looking for any possible impections. Hey, we're enthusiast.

Seriously though, I prefer console games because I can play on my couch in any position I find comfortable. I know that the keyboard-mouse combo is superion for FPS but you get used to the controller pretty quickly.

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
i PC game 10 feet away from an 80" DLP projected image while relaxing. WoW is pretty damn epic and immersive. and the thought of 4 720p projectors (probably a modest $800 per by now) on Eyefinity makes me drool a bit... i wouldn't even bother playing on a monitor.

garritynet

Oct 3, 2008
Originally posted by: plonk420
i PC game 10 feet away from an 80" DLP projected image while relaxing. WoW is pretty damn epic and immersive. and the thought of 4 720p projectors (probably a modest $800 per by now) on Eyefinity makes me drool a bit... i wouldn't even bother playing on a monitor.

If nothing else the fact that you are considering 4 720p projectors for WOW makes you the exception. :p

aequasi

Sep 30, 2009
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Originally posted by: bfdd
Actually I'm pretty sure ALL 360 games have 2xAA, I'm pretty sure it's automatic on the GPU.

Nope, in fact the 360 has been kind of a disappointment as far as graphics go. Look at their flagship title for example.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09...-pixel-counters-claim/

Halo 3 runs at 1138x640 with no AA.

halo 3 is a PISS POOR example of a 360 flagship title.... i really wish people wouldn't use that association

the halo 3 engine has been around for as long as the 360, do NOT judge the capabilities of a console by a game that was release when it came out. thats like saying a new video card sucks because they havent released new drivers yet.

all the racing games look great to me, CoD 4 looks stunning still.

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
Originally posted by: garritynet
If nothing else the fact that you are considering 4 720p projectors for WOW makes you the exception. :p

probably not for WoW. maybe for the next consistently HQ, non-obsessive-member-requiring MMO like WoW...

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The PC has the APIs and the hardware to handle so much more, but the consoles are holding it back.

At this point, I think you can honestly ask if they are holding it back or keeping it alive. Outside of MMOs, PCs aren't generating the revenue to develop all of the titles it is seeing if the consoles weren't covering the bulk of the development costs.

i doubt the issues of lag that come up when dealing with splitting up an engine

This is a profoundly stupid lie that makes no sense- if anything lag should always be reduced when using multi threading. Whoever told you otherwise, or wherever you read that, has absolutely no clue in hell what they are talking about, it doesn't even make sense in the abstract. It is utterly illogical on every level.

Therefore, the screenshot shows the strongest benefit of PC's over consoles: that they can take the same techniques and do so much more with it.

This covers draw distance and rendering lots of objects at once,

I'm interested to hear what you would consider impressive in Crysis as it relates the consoles.

Character models are solid, texturing obviously kills what the consoles can do overall and some of the shader effects, the water/wet effects in particular(although the waterfalls look like garbage). Where Crysis falls down- particle system and physics are the major stumbling blocks IMO, it is flat out inferior to some console titles on those fronts.

And as I stated, no wonder everyone's talking about it - they finally strayed from the norm.

97 on Metacritic is probably a much larger factor :)

I'm not sure this means anything . It uses all the cores? For what? To what percentage? NO offense, but you never seem to say anything concrete about what is being done .

Do you know anything about comp sci, or at the very least, benchmarks involving processors? Core useage goes up and down constantly, Naughty Dog couldn't give you concrete answers on what percentage of all the cores it uses. How are you going to measure that? % load per core perhaps? It is going to fluctuate all the time based on what is on screen. On the PC side things work a bit differently, the game renders as fast as it can, on consoles they normally work with locked framerates. If a particular frame has less of a load for SPE 5, well, SPE5 isn't going to be at 100% for that frame.

It's just not as good at graphics as graphics chips AND THAT's the bottom line with .... graphics.

No, what developers are doing is the bottom line. The hardware just determines how well or if you can run it.

Peak graphics (best to best). Crysis is better than anything consoles have period.

You will find debates on behalf of GT5, I'm not comfortable going that route until I get my hands on the finished game though. Titles like KZ2 are already showing how poor Crysis is in certain areas(particle system, weapons models) and from the looks of it Rage is going to spank Crysis on texturing(multiplatform, but just bringing up another example). Overall I agree, but that leaves a huge gaping chasm.

Where is the PC racer that looks better the GT5, or hell even Forza3?
Where is the PC action game that looks better then UC2?
Where is the PC adventure game that looks better then Heavy Rain?

Could keep going, but you get the point. If you play a variety of games, there are many genres where the consoles have a clear edge even in graphics. This isn't because the PC can't do them, it's because PC developers aren't doing them.

Take resident evil 5. IT's a very good looking game on consoles.

RE5 isn't bad, but it certainly is showing its' age, it is not in the discussion for best looking console games, not even close.

You speak often that the PC is not fully utlized and this is true... except to the extent crysis did bring high end pc's to their knees but let' snot digress.

Back in 2007 there was a game that brought high end PCs to their knees, that is true.

Again, read the op's title saying consoles can run games that more powerful PC's can't.... simply WRONG.

How about this, why don't you go out and get the highest end i7 processor, phase change cooling for the CPU and dual GPUs, make them 5870s. Now, take this rig and tell me how Gran Turismo 5 runs. Remember what you just stated, it is wrong to state the PC can't run the game, so let's see some numbers.

Wouldn't a PS3 exclusive look better on the PS3 because it's a ps3 exclusive?

KZ2>GoW2
GT5>>Forza3
UC2>Anything on the 360

That is what I am talking about. The top tier PS3 exclusives look better then anything on the 360, most of the time it is fairly clear too. Just run the games back to back on your 360 and PS3, it is painfully obvious.

The point you are missing has been stressed by many people in this thread, i.e., the graphics processor matters the most.

If you check my post history in this forum you will probably be able to figure out I might have learned a thing or two about GPUs over the years, maybe even a bit more then the average poster.

They still look/feel claustrophobic.

I posted a vid above that shows the engine opening things up a bit. Yes it is scaling detail in the background, not as badly as Crysis does though(hate, hate, hate the geometric LOD pop on rocks....).

Halo 3 runs at 1138x640 with no AA.

The screenshot you linked clearly shows AA is on.

Hey Plonk, turn on a framerate counter with those mods going :p

Absolutely stunning, but not quite what I would consider playable yet ;)

450R

Feb 22, 2005
I find it odd that anyone could see the PS3 as the "winnar" in an argument about developers harnessing the full power of a platform.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Therefore, the screenshot shows the strongest benefit of PC's over consoles: that they can take the same techniques and do so much more with it.
This covers draw distance and rendering lots of objects at once,
Nothing in that video is impressive regarding drawing distance though. They sacrificed detail and complexity and threw in saturation and bloom to cover it up. On top of that, it still stutters. That was exactly my point.

I'm interested to hear what you would consider impressive in Crysis as it relates the consoles.

Character models are solid, texturing obviously kills what the consoles can do overall and some of the shader effects, the water/wet effects in particular(although the waterfalls look like garbage). Where Crysis falls down- particle system and physics are the major stumbling blocks IMO, it is flat out inferior to some console titles on those fronts.
OK, I think we have different qualifications in comparison. I automatically assume shading effects, texturing, etc. to be better in a PC game due to the ample processing power available. The physics I also thought were pretty damn decent for a 2007 games (fully destructible buildings, reactive foliage, etc.), most console games didn't have effects like that until later (iirc).

Originally posted by: BenSkywalkerHey Plonk, turn on a framerate counter with those mods going :p

Absolutely stunning, but not quite what I would consider playable yet ;)
That's why I asked him for the name of it, I wanted to give it a whirl with FPS on my 5870 :D

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Ben:

I'm not getting a clear sense of what you believe. Could you answer a few questions?

1. Do you believe consoles (any) are more powerful than a high end PC at running games?
2. Do you believe cell architecture can run games better than high end nvidia/ati GPU's?
3. Do you believe that if you take a Core I7 overclocked, add in overclocked x-fired 5870's, and you developed a game that could take advantage of all this power, and then you developed a game that could hardness the power of the ps3, that the ps3 game would be overall graphically superior?

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004

Particle system in the stock game are somewhat inferior. I use this to fix that.

Actually that was one of the things KZ2 did well, in contrast to the grey, motion blur ridden cheap DOF effects that characterized the rest of the games graphics. Which is interesting because GoW2 had the same problem only it looked even worse than KZ2. Both of the games have absolutely nothing on Crysis.

Physics are excellent in Crysis. I'm sure you've seen the various youtube vids of what Cryengine is capable of. The way that you can destroy all the huts was one of the first things that really stood out. Scripted physics is one things and having it dynamically occur is much more difficult. All the more commendable that they didnt use PhysX to power any of it.

UC2 is probably the best looking console game out. It does have aliasing issues, but at least IT ACTUALLY RUNS AT 720p and still manages to keep a consistent framerate. I played through a little bit and its graphics beat on anything on both consoles.

GT5 isn't even out yet, and Forza 3 demo look better than GT5 prologue. So I'll pass my judgment about the best racer.

The screenshot you linked clearly shows AA is on.

It's 2x MSAA. It still looks like aliased garbage if youve ever played it because its upscaled from 640p to 720p, which results in obvious artifacts.

Halo 3 has so many bullshots floating around the internet courtesy of Bungie and its in game screenshot taker, which renders a frame natively in 1920x1080 and then adds AA, so everyone things "omg halo 3 looks so amazing"

example: in game
Another in game shot

This is what the game actually looks like.

Now for Bungie bullshots. number one
Number 2

Heres another thing that really ticks me off about console titles is the lying about the resolution. The most popular 360 games all run at awful resolution. COD4 and COD MW2 and PGR3 run at an spectacular 1024x600. I played Unreal Tournament in 2000 at a higher resolution.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nothing in that video is impressive regarding drawing distance though. They sacrificed detail and complexity and threw in saturation and bloom to cover it up.

Almost the same as Crysis does.

On top of that, it still stutters.

The build in that link is six months old, I can't find the newer build of the game that doesn't suffer from the same issue(you can tell it's another build as their is a big hellicopter chase scene though that area).

The physics I also thought were pretty damn decent for a 2007 games (fully destructible buildings, reactive foliage, etc.), most console games didn't have effects like that until later (iirc).

The physics in Crysis are absolutely terrible, go knock down some trees- they all fall down the same way every time. Crysis can handle some blocks falling down, that's about it.

1. Do you believe consoles (any) are more powerful than a high end PC at running games?

Absolutely not.

2. Do you believe cell architecture can run games better than high end nvidia/ati GPU's?

nVidia no, ATi in some cases yes(due to lack of hardware physics acceleration and that is the only reason).

3. Do you believe that if you take a Core I7 overclocked, add in overclocked x-fired 5870's, and you developed a game that could take advantage of all this power, and then you developed a game that could hardness the power of the ps3, that the ps3 game would be overall graphically superior?

Not in the least, and the fact remains that the OP is still right. Like the example I gave, and I could give tons of others, try running GT5 on the highest end PC you can possibly build, cost no object. The reasons why consoles can run some games that PCs can't is because devs are not doing the same things on the PC as they are on the consoles.

Physics are excellent in Crysis.

If by 'excellent' you mean terrible then I would agree.

I'm sure you've seen the various youtube vids of what Cryengine is capable of.

Yes, a bunch of cubes falling down. Crysis is a very poor example of physics to be kind.

The way that you can destroy all the huts was one of the first things that really stood out.

Like Red Faction on the original XBox, that doesn't exactly blow people away anymore. Go knock down a tree in Crysis, it still uses flagged/scripted physics.

It's 2x MSAA. It still looks like aliased garbage if youve ever played it because its upscaled from 640p to 720p, which results in obvious artifacts.

Absolutely, I never claimed it looked anything approaching good, just that AA was on ;)

Heres another thing that really ticks me off about console titles is the lying about the resolution.

Not too many Wii or PS3 games lie about their resolution, that is a 360 thing that is mainly due to devs using the eDRAM in ways it wasn't intended.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Not in the least, and the fact remains that the OP is still right. Like the example I gave, and I could give tons of others, try running GT5 on the highest end PC you can possibly build, cost no object. The reasons why consoles can run some games that PCs can't is because devs are not doing the same things on the PC as they are on the consoles.

So the answer finally came out after 7 pages:
The reason a high end PC can't run console games is.... because the console games didn't come out on the PC.

Sigh, if only we could go back to a decade ago when PC hardware was powerful enough to emulate new console releases while looking better. Instead, it'll probably take a decade before PCs can reliably emulate the current crop of consoles.

aequasi

Sep 30, 2009
Originally posted by: Fox5

So the answer finally came out after 7 pages:
The reason a high end PC can't run console games is.... because the console games didn't come out on the PC.

Sigh, if only we could go back to a decade ago when PC hardware was powerful enough to emulate new console releases while looking better. Instead, it'll probably take a decade before PCs can reliably emulate the current crop of consoles.

i said that like 3 pages ago....

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

Not too many Wii or PS3 games lie about their resolution, that is a 360 thing that is mainly due to devs using the eDRAM in ways it wasn't intended.

plenty lie on ps3. biggest titles like gta, call of duty, ghostbusters and streetfighter are 630p