Question whether I should upgrade my PC or not

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Currently this is what I have

Pentium 4 2.80GHZ
512 RAM
Radeon X300

I'm looking to play some of the new games decently. I have no problem turning the graphics all the way down to play the games. Keep in mind I really have no money right now. I know I should upgrade RAM.. do you think I would be able to just upgrade RAM and I should be able to run some of the new games on my PC.. or just a whole new video card?

Jun 4, 2005
You'll need to upgrade...everything, to be honest.

That computer would be fine for...StarCraft and Enemy Territory...but otherwise, nope.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Without a total overhaul I would say more ram and better video card at the very least.

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
this may be a really dumb question but how much memory does my memory card have? and what should I look for video cards with? 256MB?

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
More ram (2Gig) and a better graphics card would help you run the latest games with minimal graphical effects at best, but without a major overhaul I wouldn't expect them to run decently.

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
i'm in the same boat, my system barely runs TF2... thinking of getting some ram.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
OP...dude, too many variables here. Post back with some specifics.

List specific games
Type of power supply and # of watts
Motherboard
Monitor/resolution you game at
Your budget.

As others have said, though, you have a pretty old system - it may not make financial sense to upgrade.