Question: When did intel/ibm/amd/cyrix stop soldering in their chips?

Chu

Banned
Jan 2, 2001
Hello all, quick question. Anyone know when the chip makers officially stopped soldering in chips instead of using sockets? I remember when sockets first came around in the 486 days they were listed as a feature (Zero Insertion Force Socket), but I just dug up my old 486 SLC2-66 (IBM's 486 clone) to discover that the proc. was soldered in :(

-Chu

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Well every 486 system I've seen has used Socket 2 ZIF, but on the other hand, every 386 I've seen has been soldered on. So I dunno but thats my experience.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Chu
Hello all, quick question. Anyone know when the chip makers officially stopped soldering in chips instead of using sockets? I remember when sockets first came around in the 486 days they were listed as a feature (Zero Insertion Force Socket), but I just dug up my old 486 SLC2-66 (IBM's 486 clone) to discover that the proc. was soldered in :(

-Chu

not necessarily. i always thought my 486 33 was soldered in, but upon closer inspection I found it was LIF (low insertion force). no handle to lift, and you really need a screwdriver to pry the chip out by putting it near the corners and twisting. look from the side to see if it is LIF.