Question: Video ram cooling...

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
I have a new Geforce2 GTS 64 meg card and have been experimenting with overclocking it... I set up 3dMark2000 in looping mode and tested it both overclocked and not. I know this not a really good way to test but by touch the ram chips were just barely warm either way (could hold finger on as long as I wanted). This is with these settings too 240/410 (core/memory) it gave me #`s in the 7600 range and no visual problems. But the question is should I install some heatsinks anyhow??? And where to buy them and how to install them??? Also I more than likely will not overclock the card that much in the future (make it last) seeing as how it gives me 70+ frames in UT (1024X768 32bit color) but should I add the heatsinks anyhow??? Lemme have it! ;)

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
If they are not even hot, and only just warm, don't bother with heatsinks. They are not going to do much good.

JayPatel

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
au contraire

installing ramsinks would give you the benefit of having your ram run cooler, even though u wont be overclocking your ram, you have he benefit of added stability in any system, especially overclocked, ive got ramsinks on my CL Annihillator SDR and well i can run it @ 240 Mhz stably w/o ramsinks i can only reach about 189 Mhz. nuff said.

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
The point is that they are not going to help if they are not hot at all. Temperature is well within tolerance if they are not even warm. It would be a waste.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I agree with Andy.
I've never had the RAM on any of my vid cards go above what I'd call warm.
Even on my TNT2-U when I had the mem OC'ed to 230 MHz the mem capsules were still well within the &quot;not painful at all to touch&quot; range.