Question to those who have changed majors in college..

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I'm planning on switching my major out to Criminology/Law next quarter, but the School of Social Ecology rejected my request to get into that major. I'm a freshman this year so I understand why; I didn't meet the requirements, etc.. but do I have to stay in my current major until I pass the classes I need and meet the new school's requirements?

Thing that sucks most is I'm most likely gonna fail or do bad in one of the classes that was required for my previous major.. and I can't drop it because it'd make me be under the full-time student requirement and the classes I was gonna switch it with, the ones my new major will pertain to, were full. :(

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
See if your school has an Undecided major you can switch into. Then take the classes necessary to meet the requirements for your newly decided major and transfer in after a semester.

"Question to those who have changed majors in college.."

I'm confused. So, what's the question? I know you were an engineering major before/as of present.

Edit: Never mind! I just saw your question. Follow Minendo's advice. :)

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: luvly
"Question to those who have changed majors in college.."

I'm confused. So, what's the question? I know you were an engineering major before/as of present.

I was an engineering major and technically I still am, even though I've dropped the engineering course already. I'm asking if I need to stay as an engineering major until I meet the requirements for the major I intend to go into.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Imported
I'm planning on switching my major out to Criminology/Law next quarter, but the School of Social Ecology rejected my request to get into that major. I'm a freshman this year so I understand why; I didn't meet the requirements, etc.. but do I have to stay in my current major until I pass the classes I need and meet the new school's requirements?

Thing that sucks most is I'm most likely gonna fail or do bad in one of the classes that was required for my previous major.. and I can't drop it because it'd make me be under the full-time student requirement and the classes I was gonna switch it with, the ones my new major will pertain to, were full. :(

Hey, you have to take several classes first and find out the GPA/course requirements. Once you do that, they'll accept you into the school. Come become a PoliSci major w/ me from ICS. ;)

Edit: Make sure to meet the requirements and know all the rules. Some don't let you repeat the course if you dind't meet the requirements, and some you're still not even guaranteed even if you do fulfill everything.

And btw, counselors = sh1t. I wasted my time going to them when I coudl've foudn all the info online. Heck, they even only let you talk to the student counselors 99% of the time.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I was thinking of taking a minor in PoliSci actually.. if everything works out well. :)

Or just take a few of the courses.. ;)

Only thing I'm really worried about is going on AP (Academic Probation) if I don't do well in the classes I'm in right now, since they were required for the engineering major..

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Take a sociology course w/ Professor O'Connel. He's awesome, although a super uber liberal.. but I guess that comes w/ sociology.