Question: Set-top HDTV Receiver with Component Input and DVI Output

Baryn

May 10, 2005
Well, I have found out (with help I had here) that USB TV tuners with Component In do not exist. Now I am looking for a set top box or external HDTV receiver/tuner with Component In and either DVI Out or Component Out. I have been looking everywhere and am wondering if these products exist.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
HDTV tuners/receivers use a coaxial connection for input either from the Satellite dish, cable company or the antenna for OTA broadcasts.

Short version:.....They don't "understand" YPbPr signals

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Baryn
Well, I have found out (with help I had here) that USB TV tuners with Component In do not exist. Now I am looking for a set top box or external HDTV receiver/tuner with Component In and either DVI Out or Component Out. I have been looking everywhere and am wondering if these products exist.

You can get A/V switches for component signals, but I don't know what you're looking for... if you have your signal in component already, just plug it right into your HDTV.

If you're trying to capture HD component video, you really can't on a PC right now (at least not without transcoders and equipment that costs several thousand dollars).

Baryn

May 10, 2005
My monitor doesn't have Component In itself, it has VGA and DVI. I need something which can put HDTV on that monitor, as well as something I can hook my DVD player into without having to downgrade to A/V cable. All the HDTV tuners I have seen so far only have A/V or S-video, but not component.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Baryn
My monitor doesn't have Component In itself, it has VGA and DVI. I need something which can put HDTV on that monitor, as well as something I can hook my DVD player into without having to downgrade to A/V cable. All the HDTV tuners I have seen so far only have A/V or S-video, but not component.

Ah. You need a component->VGA transcoder (commonly referred to as a "VGA Box"). I believe Nexus makes one of the more popular models. I'm sure a search on those terms will turn up plenty of info.

People use them to play their XBox/PS2/Gamecube on a computer monitor or VGA projector, but you could also use it to watch HDTV/DVDs on a computer monitor if you don't have an HDTV.

Baryn

May 10, 2005
This may be a solution to my problem. Thanks a lot Matthias! Your help has dragged my plans out of a ditch.