Question Question SATA/IDE adapter to USB for dvd drive internal sata

gamerfan

Nov 24, 2017
If you only need the DVD drive, then USB2 is fine. If you want to use it to connect to HDD as well, USB3 is better for speed but USB2 still works.

the priority is to use dvd drive at maximum reading speed and burning USB 2.0 is adequate? my drives are SATA 2 and SATA 3

this link adapter i posted is the best aliexpress kit or do you recommend another best low cost adapter kit?

I also have to analyze the power supply of these kits sold on aliexpress if this link power supply is better other power supplies 12v 2.5A

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
In my experience, reading a DVD at ~10MB/sec is a reasonable expectation, anything more than that is fortunate. 10MB/sec is well within USB2's limitation (~25-35MB/sec depending on the controller).

Writing a DVD: DVD writers top out at 16x which is meant to be something like ~22MB/sec, but I don't think I've ever seen a drive actually achieve it, it's like when a SATA SSD benchmarks at 550MB/sec but the best I've seen in real-world copies is about 350MB/sec.

Maybe reading a DVD for imaging purposes (ie. instructing the drive to sequentially read everything on the disc regardless of file structure) may result in higher throughput, but aside from ripping DVD movies, I rarely do anything like this.

The only other thing I wonder is whether bus latency of USB3 might result in overall better performance despite the peak throughput not being noticeably better.

Overall I'd say if getting a USB3 enclosure wasn't much different in cost I'd go for it because it provides more long-term flexibility, such as connecting a BR drive, SSD or HDD.

Unless the enclosure is faulty I doubt there's any kind of reliability argument to be made. A decent USB cable is more important for USB3 in my experience, but that's a reliability of transferring data argument rather than longevity.

Longevity: In my work I've gone through a few USB HDD enclosures, they just eventually fail (although my current one has done a lot better than predecessors). My guess is that my use of them involves connecting up different drives on a regular ish basis whereas I imagine most users just have one drive and it stays in the enclosure so less wiggle stress (technical term) on the enclosure's components.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is whether one can simply connect up a SATA DVD drive to a generic HDD enclosure or whether the enclosure's electronics are expecting a storage device that can be presented as typical USB mass storage.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is whether one can simply connect up a SATA DVD drive to a generic HDD enclosure or whether the enclosure's electronics are expecting a storage device that can be presented as typical USB mass storage.

I just tried the only enclosure I have that can physically connect to a SATA DVD drive, but it doesn't recognise the drive. It has mains power, and it can power up the drive and allow the tray to be ejected, but Windows only sees the enclosure, not the drive.

What I'd do instead is either find a cheap enclosure that explicitly states optical drive compatibility or I'd just buy a USB DVDRW drive (which is the mature, tried and tested solution).

This looks like a generic USB DVD-ROM+CD-RW drive from that site, but it doesn't look like it can write DVDs:

gamerfan

Nov 24, 2017
This drive from Aliexpress does not support M-Disc and I need drives that support m-disc so I have an internal sata 3 lg dvd drive with mdisc support and the other drive I own is a samsung sata 2 internal both me I want to adapt to use outside the PC but I don't know which is the best aliexpress adapter to buy

is it true that internal sata drives are more robust and durable than external USB drives?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
This drive from Aliexpress does not support M-Disc and I need drives that support m-disc so I have an internal sata 3 lg dvd drive with mdisc support and the other drive I own is a samsung sata 2 internal both me I want to adapt to use outside the PC but I don't know which is the best aliexpress adapter to buy

is it true that internal sata drives are more robust and durable than external USB drives?

If we're talking about DVD writer drives, bear in mind that SATA ones are very cheaply made, DVD is an almost obsolete technology that virtually no-one cares about. I could theoretically argue that their more spacious nature than slimline USB-powered DVD drives means they could be more reliable, but optical drives with reliability issues is commonplace. I fix computers for a living and I'd spend no more than an hour trying to get a DVD drive working properly all things being equal.

I think if I were doing lots of work with a DVD drive then I'd go for an internal SATA one in most scenarios except where portability is a priority. If you need specific features like m-disc then your options for external USB drives may be limited.

More directly answering your question though - I have never bought an adapter specifically for SATA DVD drives, so I have no recommendations, I don't know what to expect when searching for such devices, assuming they actually exist.

Last edited:

gamerfan

Nov 24, 2017
If we're talking about DVD writer drives, bear in mind that SATA ones are very cheaply made, DVD is an almost obsolete technology that virtually no-one cares about. I could theoretically argue that their more spacious nature than slimline USB-powered DVD drives means they could be more reliable, but optical drives with reliability issues is commonplace. I fix computers for a living and I'd spend no more than an hour trying to get a DVD drive working properly all things being equal.

I think if I were doing lots of work with a DVD drive then I'd go for an internal SATA one in most scenarios except where portability is a priority. If you need specific features like m-disc then your options for external USB drives may be limited.
internal sata drives are more durable than the external usb?

i need to buy a sata to to usb adapter to use the internal drives outside the PC which cheapest adapter from Aliexpress is the best?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
internal sata drives are more durable than the external usb?

As I said, that's a very theoretical argument which is not based on my own experience.

i need to buy a sata to to usb adapter to use the internal drives outside the PC which cheapest adapter from Aliexpress is the best?

I'd ask the supplier/manufacturer whether the one you listed is compatible with SATA DVD drives.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Rosewill (@ Newegg.com ) sells a USB to SATA adapter, that has external +12V DC power (comes with power brick), that might work with opticals. I have one, but I haven't tried it with a DVD drive. I might, if I get bored, hook one up I suppose.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
OWC makes an enclosure , but it's expensive at $50. I have the OWC Mecury Pro which includes the LG WH16NS40 and supports M-DISC. Haven't tried anything above dual layer, but it's been working good with everything I've tried.

I didn't mention it before mainly because of the cost.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010

The SATA to usb adapters are good for occasional use. Make sure you get a 12v powered adapter. Wouldn't want to rely on them for anything mission critical/every day use. SATA ports are rated for, what, 500 insertions?

You are better off getting an enclosure or a usb DVD drive.