Question regarding Intel release cycle

hunkeelin

Feb 14, 2012
Hi All,.
I got a question regarding intel release cycle. back in the days, intel used to release the enthusiast version of their chip before targeting the general public. That was until i7 920 960 and 980x. After that, intel start releasing their new technology on the commercial platform first, 2600k, 3770, and 4770. Where does the enthusiast platform is released a most a year afterwards; predominately, the sandy bridge E lga 2011 and the haswell-e lga 2011-v3.

My point is, isn't this slapping the enthusiast's hand? Enthusiast, almost all of whom an elitist. Has always have privilege in experiencing new technology before the commercial market (they paid the premium price for it); now it has changed. The current extreme edition for example the haswell-e got released just couple months ago; and now skylake is on the way. As an enthusiast doesn't it feel bitter that whenever u purchase something, a better newer version is coming out really soon? For one I certainly did.

Mar 10, 2006
It's a bummer for sure, but it stems from the fact that the "mainstream" desktop CPUs are basically repurposed laptop CPUs while the high end desktop chips are just repurposed server chips.

Since consumer typically moves faster than server, the mainstream desktop moves faster than the high end desktop. Sad reality of the situation :(

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
They probably also figure they can sell double to those that upgrade each time there's an upgrade available.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
They probably also figure they can sell double to those that upgrade each time there's an upgrade available.

It got nothing to do with that, if anything of such happening its a sideeffect.

Server validation is where they time issue is.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Like ShintaiDK said Intel does not care about the enthusiast. The enthusiast is an after thought. The high end socket is the same they use for xeons. You do not release server hardware till you sure it is good. They do not want to repeat something like the Sandybridge motherboard sata issue.

Thus the enthusiast platform will not come out till the server line is ready.