Question re: VIVO... do I really need this?

rawhyde

Mar 14, 2001
Trying to decide which GeForce4 Ti 4200 card to get and am curious as to what I could use the VIVO functionality of some cards for. I am definitely going to get a 128MB version of the card, all of these seem to have TV-out, so no decision to be made so far... but video IN is only offered on a couple of cards right now, the eVGA and Gainward ones to be exact.

Now as I understand it, the VI functionality can be used for capturing TV, VCR, video cam, etc. with the correct software, but if I was ever going to do any serious HTPC stuff (i.e. TIVO-type functionality, HDTV decoding, etc.) i'd need to buy additional equipment anyway. Correct? And most video cams or digital cameras come with USB or Firewire connector, so I'd use a different interface in those cases anyway. So my question is... why would I pay an extra $20 for video in? Or to put it another way, is it worth an extra $20 to have that option?

FWIW I'm looking at the Visiontek 4200 card at buy.com ($168.50 shipped for discover card users) and the eVGA 4200 card at Newegg ($189 shipped).

Any advice or thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated. Thanks!

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
Its worth it if you use it. I use mine for videp capturing off my old 8mm camcorder. Works well.

rawhyde

Mar 14, 2001
So if I happen to have an older 8mm camera that I want to capture video from it would be worth it. If not, I might as well save the $20.

I'd really like to build a Home Theater PC in the near future, but it sounds like I'd probably want a different video capture card for this anyway.

Any other uses for VI?

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
:| I've heard the GF4 cards are still no better at TVout or VIVO than the GF2 & GF3 cards.

:D That means the advantage of VIVO is the use of Philips chips which give a semi-decent output. The Vout versions use Conexant or Chrontel chips which give poor quality (off-centre & black borders). I believe the sw 'TV-Tool' can aleviate the Conexant chips short-fall, but better VO by the Philips VIVO chip may be worth the extra cash.

;) As oldfart (nice name dude) stated, the VI can capture any S-Video source, that means VHS, Camcorders etc.

lupohki

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'm in the same situation. Can someone tell me if using the official Nvidia Detonator drivers willl retain the VIVO functionality, or do I have to use the manufacturer's drivers?