question on XFX Geforce 4200 128 MB

avengerzz

Apr 2, 2001
I been looking online for this graphic card and on newegg.com, they list that this video card has two RAMDAC (350 MHZ) on this video card, does that mean that I can do dual CRT connection on this video card? I have a Sony G400 and a Viewsonic TFT(but it uses analog plug), I want a graphic card that can handle dual monitor and ATI 8500 has been a bust for me. :(

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
:D All GF4 cards inherently have dual RAMDACs and as such support dual display, the only exceptions being the very rare manu who decided not to bother mounting a 2nd port on the back of the card! The most common combination on GF4 cards is CRT+DVI+TVout and many manus give you a DVI-to-CRT converter so you can run 2 std monitors. In your case you have an analogue-type TFT monitor and I'm afraid I'm unable to confirm how you'd get on with the digital DVI connector. Manu matters very little for GF4 cards, abilities, speed, o/c, image quality etc vary VERY little so it is best to go by price, bundle and features.

:eek: Unfortunately Radeons vary quite a lot with manu and also oem vs retail versions too, as I'm in no doubt you've found. The clocks and dual display are the biggest factors often compromised and it is something you need to check thoroughly before you buy. Rad9000 cards have it all built in to the chip so if the card has the ports it also has dual display, unfortunately the same can't be said for Rad8500 cards. With a little homework you should easily find a Rad8500 (or LE version) for a good price with 128MB RAM and dual display functionality.

;) Whatever you decide, a quick email to the manu or retailer of your potential purchase should clear it up for you, or maybe someone here can guide you on how the older type TFT's cope with the new DVI ports.