Question on wired controllers for PC

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I bought an Afterglow wired XBox 360 controller to use for some games on Steam to which it worked beautifully. I had to download the Microsoft XBox 360 Accessories application to get it to work properly, but once that was done everything was smooth. That is, until I bought a second one. My PC apparently doesn't know what the new controller is and refuses to install the drivers. When I tried to manually install the drivers, it just gives me errors that it's unable to locate any drivers.

Long story short, I'm returning this one and grabbing a different one under the assumption this one is faulty somehow. I plan on uninstalling the original drivers before trying to install this one.

My question is, what would be the best wired controllers to get for PC games? I prefer the Playstation controller layout, but the 360 is fine if that's all I have to work with.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I personally prefer the 360 controller for PC gaming. But if it wasn't doing such a great job, I'd probably get a One controller now that the drivers are available.

Logitech might have something for you closer to a Playstation style controller. They're a good brand, and I bet they're probably also DirectInput compatible.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I prefer keyboard and mouse above all for PC gaming, but when I'm playing a console port on my PC, sometimes I prefer the controller.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into the Logitechs.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
my memory might be borked, but for my wired xbox 360 controller I literally just plug it in and it works

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I still use a Logitech Dual Action controller which is a Playstation 2 controller clone. It didn't need drivers in XP, Vista, 7 or 8/8.1. 90%+ of PS style controllers use the disc style D-Pad though, if you don't mind that then Logitech, Thrustmaster & Logic3 make good ones.

The Xbox One controller is coming to the PC soon and will probably have the most game support natively and if you don't mind the layout it'd probably be the best bet.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
I love my Logitech F710 wireless controller. It has Xinput as well as DirectInput configurations.

There's also a wired version, the F310. Might be worth looking into.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I grabbed a Xbox One controller after my glowing 360 controller stopped working. The XBone controller is better than the 360 - I recommend it. No wireless support yet but its supposedly coming.

I think the PS4 controller is supported, but I don't know for sure. If it is, I'd guess wired only.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I prefer the wireless xbox 360 controllers greatly over the wired ones. If you can get a reliable wireless receiver they work just like on the xbox. Pick one up, press the xbox button, and the controller immediately connects. Couldn't be easier.

To your question, I did try several wired xbox controllers before settling on the wireless ones. I noticed that the 3rd party controllers like the ones made my madcatz were hit and miss on the PC even recognizing them when they were plugged in. The official ones made by microsoft always worked though. My suggestion currently would be to grab an official wired xbox360 controller rather than the xbox one controller mostly because they are nearly identical and the 360 controller won't require a separate extra long usb cable to work.

Patre

May 29, 2013
I prefer the wireless xbox 360 controllers greatly over the wired ones. If you can get a reliable wireless receiver they work just like on the xbox. Pick one up, press the xbox button, and the controller immediately connects. Couldn't be easier.

QUOTE]

This ^^

Absolutely no issues at all with my Wireless Xbox controllers (both of em). As SlitheryDee said, the key would be to get a reliable wireless receiver.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Thanks for all the information. I'll keep looking around to see if I can't find a PS4 controller somewhere down the line.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I prefer wired controllers, no worries about wireless reception or batteries. I would consider wireless if I was playing PC games on the couch.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I'm the same way. I love cable management and I have no problem being attached to my PC. Besides, the wired controllers have ridiculously long cables anyways, so it's never a problem.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I guess I wasn't clear. When I use a controller, it's a 360 controller. I flip flop pretty evenly between a controller and kb/m.

Don't worry, though. Shooters are kb/m.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I use an Xbox One controller, and have used an Xbox 360 controller in the past. I see no reason to use an aftermarket Xbox controller.

If you prefer the PS controllers, there's a driver for the PS4 controller, that I hear works great.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I bought the microsoft wireless receiver a while back, I didn't have to do anything to get it working in either Win7 or Win 8/8.1. I just plugged in the receiver and synced the 360 controller to it and that was it. I got a bluetooth adapter a couple days ago to hook up a ps3 controller as well but I think that takes a little more setup.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I'm the same way. I love cable management and I have no problem being attached to my PC. Besides, the wired controllers have ridiculously long cables anyways, so it's never a problem.

Same here. I have had an OEM wired 360 controller for years and have never had any problems with it. I've used it on a bunch of different computers, I think I did have to download a driver for XP, but on all the others, it just worked. Cable is plenty long enough when I plug it into my laptop in hotel rooms, and most of my games are already mapped to those controllers anyways.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Finally found a fix to the multiple Afterglow controllers not working. Apparently my PC only detected one and could not figure out what the other controller was, so I had to manually download the driver from a selected list on my PC and it works perfectly now.

Still looking for a Playstation wired controller, but the two Afterglow 360 controllers will suffice for now.

Just in case anyone else decides to buy two Afterglow 360 wired controllers for Windows 7, here is the fix: http://support.pdp.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5553&redirect=true

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Finally found a fix to the multiple Afterglow controllers not working. Apparently my PC only detected one and could not figure out what the other controller was, so I had to manually download the driver from a selected list on my PC and it works perfectly now.

Still looking for a Playstation wired controller, but the two Afterglow 360 controllers will suffice for now.

Just in case anyone else decides to buy two Afterglow 360 wired controllers for Windows 7, here is the fix: http://support.pdp.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5553&redirect=true

Glad you got it working. Out of curiosity, where are you in the 505? I ask because I miss my Pojoaque/Nambe homestead very much. Getting by here, in the flatlands, just reminiscing is all.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Glad you got it working. Out of curiosity, where are you in the 505? I ask because I miss my Pojoaque/Nambe homestead very much. Getting by here, in the flatlands, just reminiscing is all.

San Juan County in a small city near the Colorado border.