question on u.s. policy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001

<< Who's logged in as Russ? >>

I think Russ is getting ready to apply to night school at Berkeley. ;)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
What aspect of your or your families life are you willing to sacrifice? Now ask your question again..

Aug 10, 2001

<< Vespasian, try murder 1. >>

Would you care to elaborate, or am I so far below you intellectually that any elaboration on your part would be pointless?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

<< What aspect of your or your families life are you willing to sacrifice? Now ask your question again >>

I don't understand this. Please enlighten the ignorant.

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
U.S. Policy is/should be to protect US interests at ANY COST.

Is anyone else out there going to look out for US interests? NO.
Are there other countries running around doing anything without ANY self-interests? NO
Would almost EVERY country on the face of the earth push its ideals if they had the political power to do so? YES

BlueApple

Banned
Jul 5, 2001

<<

<< I certainly wouldn't like to see another WWIII. >>

Shit! I missed the first one?
>>

You missed TWO of them! :eek:

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If there is a pit of rattlesnakes in your backyard would you let your children play out there? You don't blame the rattlesnakes for their nature. You don't make the assumption that all snakes are poisonous. You just quickly and efficiently get rid of the rattlesnakes.

The world is one big backyard now.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Moonbeam to Vespian: << Vespasian, try murder 1. >>

Vespasian: "Would you care to elaborate, or am I so far below you intellectually that any elaboration on your part would be pointless?"

Geez, Vespasian, that kinda puts me over a barrel. I'll admit that I didn't elaborate because I thought the point was obvious ie, easily withing reach of your intellect. Now that you ask for clarification though I have to conclude that I am wrong. Not a pleasant spot to be in. I have it. Perhaps what I thought was obvious is really, for reasons of my own intellectual failure, not obvious at all. Yes that's it. I failed to account for the vast numbers of ways that my statement can be interpreted by a smart person. So now that we've appeased the person who worries about intellectual insecurities and placed all the blame on somebody who doesn't give a rat's ass about it (in other words next time if you have a question just ask it and skip the theatrics) I was refering to assasination. When the mob applies future loan guarantees via cement shoes to a late payee, most people call such an assasination a murder. Killing the leaders of other countries is murder. Lets drop the pretext that we don't approve of murder if we are going to kill people. We do approve of it. We are murderers. But no, we have, for reasons of self esteem, to kill and clown act too. Lets also get ready to go to hell too, since that's where murderers go according to our religion.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We are a country that traditionally doesn't take any sh1t from anyone. I kinda like it that way. :D

Seriously, we need to be proactive and knock out problems before they escalate to what happened 9/11. In other words, we can't wait for Saddam to do something to us. We need
to do something to him, before he gains the power to destroy any of our people or property. We shouldn't have gotten involved in the affairs of other worlds, but that's too late now. Were in it up to our necks now.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
well i prefer to kill saddam rather than to be killed, but i think some of you people are simplifying it a little too much. what do we define u.s. interests as? national defense, i agree. corporate profit? i disagree. i would like to see a policy of protecting the lives and well-being of the citizens of the u.s... but it *is* hard to have that as your sole motivation, so i dunno. maybe we need to change the way we do things internally, so that our foreign policy isn't business motivated.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
compuwiz1 The enemy has exactly the same rational. Get rid of the US before it escalates. There are two ways to understand 'we have met the enemy and they are us. One way is that we are the enemy, but the other is that we are identical to our enemy. That one is the greater and more subtle truth.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Saddam Hussein's saber rattling against the United States appears to have reached a fever pitch...
  • "On Sunday, Iraq's ambassador to the United Nations told U.S. television that Baghdad was offering a reward to Iraqi military officials for shooting down allied aircraft patrolling Iraq's "no-fly zones."
If he utters these words publicly, especially so the whole world hears it, he should be cut off at the knees. The USA does NOT make threats like this. If somebody threatened my family as Saddam does, using henchmen, no jury would convict me for taking him out. There are no "World Cops" for the US to have him removed. Never forget, he starts it. It's up to us to finish it.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Moonie,

Your intellectual facade crumbles in the face of your terrible grammar and spelling.

Russ, NCNE

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

<< national defense, i agree. corporate profit? i disagree. >>

Our national and economic security are so closely intertwined it is impossible to tell the difference. It will be vital to our national security to have the free flow of oil from the middle east until we are no longer dependent on that oil. And yes, someone willl make a profit from that oil. That's how it works in a capitalist, free market society.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I change my mind on this a lot.
Currently, I am leaning towards the USA staying out of other countries business, including assassinations.
However, once it comes to a WAR... why don't we aim for the leader?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Russ, if there's an intellectual facade anywhere, I would have to think it's one you built by imputation and one you crumbled. Since I didn't learn to read till I was in the fourth grade I'm just glad to be able to write at all. If I were interested in avoiding a criticism of the validity of my thoughts based on my spelling, it would be an easy enough matter to use a spell checker. Actually, when I feel that the vast proponderance of people spell a word incorrectly, I'll look it up in the dictionary so as to spell it thier way, but I do so only when the meaning of what I'm trying to get across depends on that word. I hate trying to find out how to properly misspell a word that isn't where it should be in the dictionary.

Now as to my grammar, I always thought it was impeccable. :D

The river wends its way to the sea.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< U.S. Policy is/should be to protect US interests at ANY COST. >>

Not at any cost...but other countries' interests should take a back seat to ours'...a la my function

<< Is anyone else out there going to look out for US interests? NO.
Are there other countries running around doing anything without ANY self-interests? NO
Would almost EVERY country on the face of the earth push its ideals if they had the political power to do so? YES
>>

All of these are so right...no country has ever fought a war under such a crazy microscope as the US has had to deal with during her battles in Afghanistan

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<<

<< national defense, i agree. corporate profit? i disagree. >>

Our national and economic security are so closely intertwined it is impossible to tell the difference. It will be vital to our national security to have the free flow of oil from the middle east until we are no longer dependent on that oil. And yes, someone willl make a profit from that oil. That's how it works in a capitalist, free market society.
>>

That is exactly right on two levels.

(1) Rich businessmen who find it harder to travel nowadays make less money and spend less money on consumer goods. Sure, if you allow people to terrorize our planes, then you've forced that rich businessman to eat only 7 Happy Meals a day instead of 8 which is no big loss...but you've also cost that McDonald's worker his job (You jerk)

(2) Let's say that we just let Saddam steamroll through Kuwait and cuz of that, we're paying a dollar more per gallon for gas. Sure, that's nothing to you and me but think of the father of four living in the gheto who's got to drive to work and is barely getting by? You just screwed that poor guy pretty bad...thanks a lot :|

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A more important point of the Gulf war. Let's say we let Saddam role through Kuwait and were paying a dollar more for gas. What would Saddam have been doing with the money and power he would get from that.

Do you think he would have been content with just Kuwait?

I think that is one of the true reasons for the Gulf war.