Question on running package in MS SQL 2008 R2

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
We recently deployed a MS SQL Server, and I have been charged with the task of learning, taming and commanding this beast.

I've been getting along OK thus far, but I seem to have an issue or question when trying to set up a package to run via a schedule job.

I created a package (function fine when run manually) and I went into MSSMS to create a scheduled job. Under “steps” I create a new Step. Then change Type to SSIS Package, but when I go to pick the package the one I want isn’t listed… there is one listed there which I THINK is something I created long ago as a junk test thing.

What am I missing here? Why can I not see the package(s) that I have built in Visual Studio?

Thanks in advance.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
...or I could just choose "File System" and navigate to the package that way I guess :)

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
You need to deploy the SSIS package to the server. Basically, in SSMS, connect to the SSIS instance. Expand the Stored Packages folder and then right click on MSDB. From there you click on Import and then browse to the location of the SSIS package.

Next, create a step in your job, select SSIS package as the type, supply the server name and the select the package you want to run.

You can also deploy packages from Visual Studio, but I can't remember the steps off the top of my head. Let me know if you have any other SQL Server related questions.