question on older ECS K7S5A Pro board

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
I have tried 2 different AMD xp 2200+ CPU's on this board and neither will post. Can't get into the bios screen to see if things are set right. I took out an athalon 1.4 Gig which was working fine. I put the 1.4 back in after trying the xp's and things work again. I think the K7S5A Pro from the first bios is suppose to support the 2200+. I have 1 Gig of PC 2100 Ram, running Windows XP, with 350W Antec power supply, 2 ide hard drives, a cd player and cd/rw also. Should I try a bios update. I think this board is sporting the first bios 12-20-2002 s.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Check ecs website first for bios update fixes. Don't remember if the xp2200 would run off the last bios version. I would also use a floppy for the update. It's safer than the ecs windows flash software.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
BIOS updates first, yes, and then only those CPU flavors that are supposed to run on 100 or 133 MHz base frequency. No "FSB333" or "FSB400" (166 and 200 MHz, respectively) types.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I remember running up to an XP2500 in that board...I think. It's been a long time.

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the input.......I will try a bios update because I found that the bios I have is the original one. Although, ECS advertises that the board will work with Athlon Xp, Duron and Athlon.....Hope that relates to later bios than the one I have.

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
I'm stumped. I updated the board with the newest bios available. Then I put the xp 2200+ in and tried to boot. It wouldn't post. It kept flashing the lites on the cd roms but no beeps and the monitor didn't pick up anything. The cpu fan is turning and power is working. I would think it was a bad cpu but I tried 2 different 2200+ processors and no go. I put the 1.4 gig back in and now everything works. Peter says no 166 or 200 mhz cpu's...I don't think the xp 2200+ is either of those..Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

One question does the xp 2200+ need more power than the athlon 1.4Gig?

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
No. In this case, I believe peter is right. If you still want to use the xp2200, I would look for a cheap newegg open box board if you are currently using pc2100 or pc2700 ddr memory. They sometimes have them Monday or Tuesday nights about 9 pm pacific time, and they can sell out in minutes. If you are using the old sdram, such as pc133, you may not be able to use this memory with the xp2200 on any board.

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
o1die...Are you saying that the xp2200+ runs at a mhz not supported by this board? The advertisements indicate it handles xp 2200+ 266bus...Do XP+'s come in different bus speeds?

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006
I just upgraded from this board. I had it for 4 years. I still have the manual :) It says it can support up to XP2600 266 mhz FSB. When I was researching to see if I could upgrade the board I seem to remember that AMD had a different line of XP chips (similiar names, XP 2200, etc) but had 333 FSB. It was confusing. This is probably the problem. You have a new 333 fsb chip in a 266 fsb mobo. I believe wikipedia docuemented it well. look it up.

Let me know if I'm right or not :)

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
No. I'm saying that some versions of the xp2200 won't work with sdram, only ddram. I used that board in 2 builds, and my friend still uses it with pc2100. I upgraded the ram for him, changing from pc100 to pc2100. I believe the xp2200 comes in thoroughbred or palimino versions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Now, have you checked whether the 2200 processors you have there are "FSB266" models or not? Did you update the BIOS yet?

The K7S5A, even the earlier non-Pro revisions, run everything up to 2600+ no problem - provided the BIOS is right AND they're FSB266 types. I've personally owned a rev. 1.0 board that ultimately ran a 2400+ (in fact, it still does, just elsewhere).

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: o1die
No. I'm saying that some versions of the xp2200 won't work with sdram, only ddram. I used that board in 2 builds, and my friend still uses it with pc2100. I upgraded the ram for him, changing from pc100 to pc2100. I believe the xp2200 comes in thoroughbred or palimino versions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, yes you are wrong. K7 processors do not even connect to the RAM. The chipset does that - and how, where, what and why of RAM access are totally contained in the chipset, transparent to any access master, including the CPU.

What might have happened here is slightly dodgy SDRAM that ran well with slower CPUs, but produces error with the higher traffic from a faster one. THAT I have seen manier times, particularly in the early days of PC133 SDRAM. I remember a time when one out of four 'budget' DIMMs was good (!).

But if you fire up a board with a new CPU, it'll fire up with 'failsafe' settings anyway, everything at slowest speed.

Sandan: Here's another idea for /after/ you've done what I've recommended above: Clear the CMOS before you try to fire up with the new CPU in.

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
Peter I did update the bios to the newest version. I also cleared the CMOS. Hmm on the Ram issue I have a stick of pc3200 I will try. Now the board has a Gig of PC 2700 ram. Again I get no beep codes and can't get into the bios because nothing comes on the screen. <I am suspecting the PSU...Originally I thought it was 300 W but upon inspection I find it is an AGI 250W (This is my daughters system and I don't mess with it as much as mine)...what do you think.

I looked at the cpu and it is axda2200 266Mhz.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
OK then ... however, the 1.4G "original" Athlon isn't exactly shy on power either. Do the capacitors around the CPU look good, or is there any leakage or bulging to be seen?

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
The capacitors look good. The board is solid. I put 1.4 G back in and it is running stable.

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006
sorry if this has been covered ( I just woke up and didn't read the whole thread again) but I have the mobo manual here and this is what is says about ram.

Two 168pin DIMM slots for SDRAM memory modules
Two 184pin DIMM slots for DDR memory modules
Support SDRAM up to 133mhz and DDR up to 266 MHz memory bus
Maximum installed memory is 1GB

You cannot use SDRAM and DDR simultaneously

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
Try replacing the Power supply w/ something bigger, the K7S5A's were always picky about the PSU for such a cheap board, I build 6 systems based on those boards over the years and 3 are still running. 2 smoked and I'm not sure what happend to the other one but in the 2 that failed it was a power issue the mosfets melted and powersupplies didn't check out, so its a safe bet once you interduce a higher power parts w/ such a cheap powersupply you may have an issue.

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
Using extra parts I changed the psu and changed Ram sticks but still no picture on screen and no beep codes. This is the second 2200+ CPU that won't work. As before I put the 1.4 Gig back in and things work fine again.

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Sandan
Using extra parts I changed the psu and changed Ram sticks but still no picture on screen and no beep codes. This is the second 2200+ CPU that won't work. As before I put the 1.4 Gig back in and things work fine again.

check this out. what is your model number of your chip?

athlon xp wiki

here is another page i dug up about the board

ecs board

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
Mrfatboy...That is some kick ass information which substantiates this cpu (Athlon thoroughbred 266fsb should work on this board)...Thank you. I have tried everything I can think of and implemented suggestions from this outstanding forum...but haven't fixed the problem. I think I have a bad cpu. As stated earlier this is the second 2200+ that isn't working which is very unlikely. I have one more thing to try which will nail down if the cpu is bad. My son's system has a working 2400+ which I will test in this one.

mrfatboy

Sep 3, 2006
Where are you getting these bad 2200 cpus? Is it somebody reputable?

After thinking about this more I know for a fact that the 2200 works fine. I personally have the 2000 in my board but two of my friends that bought the same board one week later (Fry's grand opening sale) got the 2200. The are still using them.

You either are getting bad chips or something is wrong with your board that doesn't like the faster chips. I would be interested to know if the 2400 works. If you are going to buy a new one you might as well get the 2600 :)