Question on 6800 (6800nu) unlocking

SEAL62505

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2000
I recently pulled out my Radeon 9800 and put in place a Geforce 6800. I unlocked it (16/6) and have been using it to play Battlefield 2. In the ground I noticed little white dots appearing from time to time. When I do notice it there are quite a few on the screen (on the ground). Is this from a faulty unlock??? If so, home come it only seems to be on the ground? It is oc'ed a little bit too.

evga 6800nu
78.01 drivers (I think this was happening with 77.77 drivers as well)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: RuffRyder1672
Yes, faulty unlock? How come just on the ground?

Thanks!

well it'll be something to do with the unlock, but could be the memory too. so to eliminate clock your memory back down to stock speeds and see if it still happens

if it does then its your core, and you can throttle back a little to see if that cures it, or improve the cooling solution as it may be getting too hot (check temps)

but you should know that unlocking an overclocking isnt guaranteed. the 4 pipes were locked to make this card a 6800NU, the chips used for these cards guarrantee 12 fully (initially made from higher end parts that didnt make it) functional pipes, not 16 and 5 fully functional vertex pipes not 6. its simply luck of the draw if your get undamaged pipes.

if it doesnt fix with downclocking./ or improved cooling then there isnt a great deal you can do

Slicedbread

Mar 27, 2005
I had tested 3 eVGA 6800nu from circuitcity an have an unlocked one right now.

-The one I have now gets 4300 with a 350 core and unlocked ps and vs
-one had visual artifacts (purple shiznit) and blurry text
-the other had no visible side effects until I went to a black screen or really dark i saw diagonal white dots across the whole screen. You may just not notice it or its possible its not there but it is the result of a failed unlock.