Question of fixing blown speaker with re-edge kit

ChrisOjeda

May 3, 2002
I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with Re-Edge Kits that you use to fix blown speakers. I have two tower speakers that each contain a tweeter, midrange, and woofer. Both woofers still work but the foam that conects the cone to the outside of the speaker is falling apart. I saw that re-edge kits exist but I am not sure if they really work. A few sites that repair speakrs say that you can't do it yourself with those kits and only experts should do it....Then again maybe they just want my $ so they don't want me to do it myself. Eitherway, before I try do it myself I want to know if these things work. It seems simple enough that it would work perfect.....Chris

Linky Winky

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
here's a kitI have done it and it works great. I had complete separation and a new surround fixed it right up. I forgot exactly who I got my kit from - this link was from google.

bleuiko

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
my speakers for my car have the same problem too.... but they're el cheapo speakers and i don't think 30 bucks is worth it....
do you think i can just glue the foam back together?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I had no clue these kits existed. Now I can fix up that pair of loudspeakers in the living room. Thanks!

ChrisOjeda

May 3, 2002
Well for what it is worth, I did a lot of research on speakers. It seems everyone agrees that old speakers were made better then todays as far as cabinets go (in general). The choice of wood was better and craftmanship was better. Just pick up a floor speaker today in a store and pick up one that is made 5, 10 or 15 years ago. The research seems to say that if you have an old cabinet try to keep re-edging until the speaker itself goes out. Then you can replace the speaker. This makes sense, my 4 floor speakers are quite heavy. They weight more than 60 pounds and are made from real wood. My 2 Cerwin Vegas are perfect after 13 years...but my 2 Boston Acoustics are the ones that need re-edging....I think if I ever buy other speakers I'll go Cerwin Vega...The foad edge is flawless after years of abuse. Anyhow, my advice is if you have old cabinets keep them and try to re-edge or replace the speaker. To think, I was going to toss the two Boston Accoutics....