Question is: How over-clockable is it ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: MadBoris
I guess it's time to revisit AMD vs. Core2duo performance now so people can stop saying core2 duo doesn't do much in games cause it's GPU bound :).

When looking at games being GPU-bound, it's not a matter of AMD vs. C2D-- it's a matter of resolution and settings. At higher resolutions (1600x1200 and above), CPU power has very little impact on gaming performance (see here).

At 1600x1200, we see a 3.47ghz C2D perform almost identical to a 1.86ghz C2D (considered similar in performance to many of the AMD chips), with the exception of Far Cry on the GTX, which shows a 20% increase from top to bottom at 16x12.

Until some other benches do more thorough testing, gamers shouldn't be worried about their current mid-range CPUs being able to push these new cards, if they play at 1600x1200 and above. At those settings, a $50 single-core A64 will likely give similar framerates as a $1000 X6800. Gamers on 1280x1024 LCDs look to still need a more balanced system with CPU-power (including dual-core for those titles coded for it) playing a bit of a larger role.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Centurin
The GTS isn't exactly the fastest around. Its not much faster than a X1950XTX. Plus, it loses to the 7950Gx2 in a number of benches.

Not nearly as many as it trashes the 7950gx2 in. Its only a couple and its only a little bit vs all the other benchmarks where it does quite a bit better. Plus beta drivers too....

nib95

Jan 31, 2006
Originally posted by: Midwayman
The GTS isn't exactly the fastest around. Its not much faster than a X1950XTX. Plus, it loses to the 7950Gx2 in a number of benches.

Not nearly as many as it trashes the 7950gx2 in. Its only a couple and its only a little bit vs all the other benchmarks where it does quite a bit better. Plus beta drivers too....

Not to mention I sold my 7950 GX2 for £380 and bought my XFX 8800 GTS for £325.
Now THAT, is a damn good deal ;) £55 profit plus a better card!

I'm trying to blag a great deal on an 8800 GTX now :D

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
It doesn't matter the difference in stream processors, if you clock a GTS high enough, it will get the same end results (FPS wise) than a stock GTX will. What remains to be seen is stability, how far a GTX will clock etc.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
The question I have to ask is why people don't overclock? Yes, I become one of those as well.

The idea is to push as much performance as possible while still maintaining stability. We want to see the full capability of the card, d@mmit. As the saying goes, "the candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long." While the overclocked card might not last as long, it should last long enough until the next upgrade comes. Although, I've yet to have an overclocked hardware (CPU & GPU) die. *Knock on wood*

<----Fondly remembers turning a Radeon9500 into a 9800, all via software.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005

Its close in the number game. But IQ, the 7950GX2 gets blown out of the water. Not to mention wiping the floor with the X1950XTX in this area as well.