Question for you TIVO owners...

BigPotato

Banned
Jun 3, 2002
Hey guys..
i JUST activited my tivo yesterday :) so cool! :)

anyway, i have a question:

Can i record a tv show and watch a live tv show at the same time?

Thanks guys!!!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
There's a whole TIVO community here, enjoy!

<--- ReplayTV user for life.

BTW, what's your monthly fee?

Mine's $0.00 :D

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
trying to start a fight i see. hopefully you did the lifetime deal thing, which i think is much better deal than monthly payments.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Davegod75
trying to start a fight i see. hopefully you did the lifetime deal thing, which i think is much better deal than monthly payments.

Just a little friendly rivalry just like NVIDIA vs ATI, INTEL vs AMD, Quizno's vs Subway, etc.

:D

BigPotato

Banned
Jun 3, 2002
i wanted to try it out this month....so i paid for a month..

well, u guys are crapping in my thread!!! ;) :)

someone answer my question dammit!:confused:

shawnman

Mar 14, 2001
BigPotato, the answer is yes and no.

If you have the standard "stand alone" Tivo you can only watch the TV show that you are currently recording when you are recording. Of course you can also watch any previously recorded show when recording.

On the other hand if you have a "DirecTivo" - it has 2 tuners and you can watch live TV and record at the same time.

p.s. I have tried both and IMO Tivo owns Replay!!! :)

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
This is how I had my TiVo hooked up before it died on me.

Antenna-->DSS box-->Tivo-->VCR-->TV using coax.

Using RCA/Svideo cables, I had the following

DSS-->Tivo-->TV

This way, I could watch live TV on the television through the normal channels. If I wasn't recording off of the DSS feed, I could watch that normally as well

If I wanted to watch TV through the tivo, I switched the TV to one of my video inputs with the remot and watched it that way. I could record from the DSS feed through the Tivo this way.

It's a little work, but it does work.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: MrBond
This is how I had my TiVo hooked up before it died on me.

Antenna-->DSS box-->Tivo-->VCR-->TV using coax.

Using RCA/Svideo cables, I had the following

DSS-->Tivo-->TV

This way, I could watch live TV on the television through the normal channels. If I wasn't recording off of the DSS feed, I could watch that normally as well

If I wanted to watch TV through the tivo, I switched the TV to one of my video inputs with the remot and watched it that way. I could record from the DSS feed through the Tivo this way.

It's a little work, but it does work.

I did the same thing, except without the DSS box. The only disadvantage with that is that I can't get premium cable, which requires a cable box.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Sears B&M have some Panasonic Showstopper (ReplayTV) 30 hour models on clearance for $199.

Pretty nice considering there's NO MONTHLY FEE (unlike TIVO), better interface and that handy dandy 30 second quick skip button.

As always with Hot Deals, YMMV