Question for you drywallers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The blown fiberglass in my 1200 sq ft house ran me $1200, but then I got a $200 rebate from the gas company and ended up being able to take about $400 in tax credit/deductions.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I would just put mesh tape over the holes and cover with DryDex/mud or whatever. 1/2" is pretty small

For 1/2" holes, I'm not even sure that I'd use tape.

I'd probably use some hot-mud, then after it set, another layer of joint compound.

Sand, then texture.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
The blown fiberglass in my 1200 sq ft house ran me $1200, but then I got a $200 rebate from the gas company and ended up being able to take about $400 in tax credit/deductions.

Yeah, spray foam is the highest costing insulation around (that I know of), but at R-7 per inch and an elimination of air infiltration, resistance to insects/animals, 'built in' vapor barrier and its ability to add to structural integrity there isn't many down sides.

They say a fully sprayed home can be heated with a candle in the winter :) And if it is fully foamed you'd need a mechanical air exchanger for fresh air. Plus you have the added bonus of if and when your street floods your house will just float :D

ric0chet06

Jan 11, 2007
sorry, completely forgot about this thread. We decided to sub the drywall work out as we patched a few walls. He'll be mudding the hole, meshing over it, then feathering it out. The insulation guy is doing the attic, underneath the house, and all the exterior walls for $5600. There's also about $300 in rebates so far, not sure if there's more to come or not.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
sorry, completely forgot about this thread. We decided to sub the drywall work out as we patched a few walls. He'll be mudding the hole, meshing over it, then feathering it out. The insulation guy is doing the attic, underneath the house, and all the exterior walls for $5600. There's also about $300 in rebates so far, not sure if there's more to come or not.
Ouch!

What is the ROI on $5600? I'd guess 10 years.
Do you see yourself staying in that house over that?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Ouch!

If he's in the northeast, in an uninsulated house, the ROI would be in 3 years or less. :p I was doing some more inquiring on my own & discovered that there's some sort of fiberglass insulation that's made for vaulted ceilings. I very well may stick with the foam though - the R-value per inch is awesome. That'd give me a total R-value of nearly 40 for the ceiling.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Ouch!

Tell you what, I'd be much more likely to stay in the house that long if it had insulation. I have no insulation in my house now and it sucks hard. :p