Question for those who have seen League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I wouldn't know.
I turned it off half way through because it was so amazingly awful.
I ended up watching Wrong Turn instead.
It was much more entertaining and that's saying a lot.
Of course it did have the benefit of Eliza Dushku in a tank top.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Shanti
I wouldn't know.
I turned it off half way through because it was so amazingly awful.
I ended up watching Wrong Turn instead.
It was much more entertaining and that's saying a lot.
Of course it did have the benefit of Eliza Dushku in a tank top.

Do you give lessons on how to be an asshat?

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Greyd
The comic books are SOOOOO much better

The comic books are indeed excellent, but you could replace "The comic books" in the above sentence with pretty much any random phrase and still have a true statement.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't remember any parts being black and white, but then again I fell asleep halfway through it.

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
Only black and white if youve downloaded the dvd screener
rolleye.gif

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I must be the only one who liked it. I didn't even know it was based on a comic book until someone at work told me. I thought it was really good.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I must be the only one who liked it. I didn't even know it was based on a comic book until someone at work told me. I thought it was really good.

I liked it too. And, I don't recall any b/w scenes.

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: murphy55d

i enjoyed it as well. no B+W. they used some pretty intense filters and the lighting at times washed the color out.

CQuinn

Golden Member
May 31, 2000
It was based on ideas that led to the comic book.

(As a friend told me) apparently when they were creating the script for the movie, Alan Moore was
still working out the basic design he wanted for the comic book.
So the movie makers had to add in elements to fill in the blank spots in their plot. Which is why
some characters are different, and some are completely new, and why the story goes in a somewhat
different direction.

The movie was color all the way thru, but it was meant to have an "old world" feel to it, so they
used very subdued coloration for most of the sets.

I liked the movie, the only problem I saw was they had only two hours to explain who all the members
of the league were, and their motivations and abilities, before throwing you into the main story.
While the books could take more time (whole chapters in fact) to flesh out each character, and tell
a story as they go along.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
it sucked big time

cant believe i paid to see it

damn marketing hype :(

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I liked the movie, the only problem I saw was they had only two hours to explain who all the members of the league were...

Perhaps that is why there seems to be a sharp divide between many of us who liked it and those who did not. It was a movie, and you knew right off you needed to suspend disbelief. Once that was out of the way, it was enjoyable to me. I have seen movies involving each character before and have read the original books of each with the exception of Quartermain, who I knew of.

So, not knowing anything at all about the comic or the movie was an advantage. I recognized each character as they came into the plot and was able to get a kick out of it. If one had no idea who Mina Harker or Nemo was, then I could see how one could get lost.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
I had fun watching it. The problem with some of these people is that they have such high expectations for movies; they don't allow themselves to just get immersed in the plot. :)

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
Originally posted by: Greyd
The comic books are SOOOOO much better

The comic books are indeed excellent, but you could replace "The comic books" in the above sentence with pretty much any random phrase and still have a true statement.

The load in my toilet is SOOOOO much better

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
the only black and white part I remember was the part during the recording on the ship.

Oh..and I just have to say, on the record...the dude who plays Dorian Gray is so amazingly hot in the movie....but in real life....he's kinda...ugly. Hehe....