Question for the guys regarding shaving...

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Hi all,

I'm still having problems with acne (much to my chagrin) and using electric shavers only agitates my skin. So far I have tried up to $50 electrical razors (one with a straight blade, one with three discs) but they all agitate my skin and cause tons of acne.

So, I would like to hear what you guys use that doesn't bother your skin and thereby promote more acne all.

Thanks! :)

I5

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
After shaving put on Benzamycin. Its a prescription antibiotic face gel and the only way I could shave without breaking out.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
The "acne" you're experiencing is actually in-grown hairs. You need to shave with a non-dull straight edge. Use gel/cream made for sensative skin. Be sure to wet your skin with hot water before applying the shaving cream. Keep your blade sharp and all that and you won't get in-growns.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: GuideBot
The "acne" you're experiencing is actually in-grown hairs. You need to shave with a non-dull straight edge. Use gel/cream made for sensative skin. Be sure to wet your skin with hot water before applying the shaving cream. Keep your blade sharp and all that and you won't get in-growns.

Is that a manual shaver like a Gilette or an electric shaver like a Braun?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: InlineFive

Is that a manual shaver like a Gilette or an electric shaver like a Braun?

Electric shavers will never get as close, evenly, or cleanly as a straight blade -or "manual shaver" as you call it. With my experience, electric shavers give me in-growns because they don't shave evenly and they don't cut the hair cleanly off.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Okay, any suggestion on a decent value brand? Or is it better to sink the money into a high-quality brand?

Hopefully I won't look just as bad by scratching myself up. :)

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Have you never shaved with a straight edge before? It takes some patience and learning, but when you learn how to properly shave your face, electric razors will be a thing of the past, my friend. I've spent far too much money on electrics in the hopes of a slight quality decrease for a large convenience increase. There wasn't much convenience increase and the quality lost was immense.

You can get a great shave out of cheap disposable razors, but they don't last more than a shave or two before they're dull and might start giving sensative skin a spotting of in-growns again. Good thing they're cheap and throw-away. There are some initially-high-priced solutions that end up paying for themselves in the long run and give you the best (read: smoothest, closest) shave you'll ever feel (Text) but those take considerable skill both in shaving and maintaining the blade.

I use Gillette's Mach3 series. They're, like, $8 or $9 for a 4-pack of heads, but they last quite a bit longer than a giant bag full of disposables.

Feb 8, 2006
Fewer blades is better, and using a shaving brush and lather soap/cream is much better. Not sure I want to spend the time to learn a straight razor, but certainly a safety razor is worth a shot. Check out these YouTube videos.

StrangeRanger

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yup, "manual" razors are the way to go. And warming up your skin with a hot wash cloth a bit helps a lot too before you shave. It may take a little extra time, but compared to electric razors your skin will be a lot better and you will get a lot better shave. Electric razors blow goats.
j

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
I usually shave right after a hot shower, if I don't put warm water on my face first then the shaving cream it's kinda rough. So it's knocking out 2 birds with 1 stone.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Definitely get some hot water on your face to open up the pores. I use a Mach 3 Turbo something I think, which does okay but now that I have a real job I'm shaving more regularly and get a lot of bumps & irritation on my neck. God bless my girlfriend, she suggested I use her face scrub stuff. It is the green squeeze bottle with a gritty cleanser in it. Put a small amount on your finger for once side of your face, thoroughly rub it in on your face & neck, voila no bumps or irritation. I :heart: my gf :)

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Whatever you do, don't even THINK about getting a Schick Quattro. They say the 4 blades are better, but the thing always ends up clogging up with my shaven stubble because there is so little room between the blades for hair to move through. I bought one last week on a suggestion and am going back to the Mach3. I have to buy a new one though because I stupidly threw out my old one when I bought the Quattro. Gillette Mach3 for life!

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I just use the two bladed Gillette. Don't care for the 3+ blades, I think they actually do a worse job. I shave in the shower, once with gel, then again with my face under the water for any touch up. Works great, although it's taken me awhile to get good at keeping my sideburns even and my goatee edged.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
You can get a great shave out of cheap disposable razors, but they don't last more than a shave or two before they're dull and might start giving sensative skin a spotting of in-growns again. Good thing they're cheap and throw-away. There are some initially-high-priced solutions that end up paying for themselves in the long run and give you the best (read: smoothest, closest) shave you'll ever feel (Text) but those take considerable skill both in shaving and maintaining the blade.

word. dont forget that badger hair brush and real shaving foam. that junk works wonders.

May 18, 2004
I second several recommendations made already...shaving right after a shower and using gilette mach3 razors for example. I've also found that regular Noxzema shaving cream is almost the only thing my face and neck will stand for. Since the demise of PharMor (man I used to love that place!) it's become quite hard to find but check americarx.com or other online places. It's worth a try.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Well how old are you? Teenager may just have regular ol' acne, instead of in-grown hairs as others have suggested. I, for one, absolutley can not use electrics. I've tried several (for the recommended 1-2 month period) times because I wanted the convenience, but no dice. It razor burns my skin to no end, gives me in-grown hairs, and generally pisses my face off.

When I need a quick and dirty shave, I use a gillete fusion (or Mach3, there really isn't any difference in shave quality).

But for a real clean shave, I use my Merkor futur safety razor. I lather up my face with whatever scent lather-cake I got ("Amber", I think), and a badger-hair brush. I shave with and across the grain, but never never NEVER against the grain. My hair is just too thick for it. You'll nick and cut yourself the first several times you shave, but once you get the hang of it it's....well....butter.

Pretty high initial investment compared to regular gilette/shick. $30-$80 for the safety razor, $30 on the badger brush. But the blades themselves are tons cheaper, last longer, shave closer. Not to mention that I've been on the same lather-cake for about 8 months now. It's totally worth it, and makes you feel all Gregory peck distinguished when you shave.

Lastly, if you have very curly and/or thick facial hair (like black people), you'll be able to better avoid in-grown hairs using a safety razor. Personally, I think a straight edge, as GuideBot mentioned, is overkill....but cool nonetheless.

themusgrat

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2005
Well, I seem to have the opposite experience of most of you. My stubbies get pulled when I use my Mach 3, so it looks like I have acne, when I really just have irritated follicles (what a g@y word). Switching to an electric was great, it doesn't irritate me any more. And I can get a very, very close shave if I take the time.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Here's a great article about Wetshaving. Give it a read...very informative.

The only thing I do differently is that I rinse, lather up and shave before I get in the shower...It's just the way I've always done it, back when I always used regular disposables.

natep

Sep 27, 2005
I'm with the majority. I sometimes use an electric shaver to thin out my facial hair if it's too crazy, but then I have to use my Mach 3. Using the electric to actually shave just feels like hairs are being plucked out of my skin.

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
Use a Mach3 Turbo here, IDK what the diff btwn it and the normal Mach3 is, I got it free in the mail.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I don't like the Schick Quattro, either. It seemed to give me bad razor burn.

Right now, I use the Gillette M3 Power Nitro--it is a nice shave. I used to use the Sensor Excel for several years. I find Gillette makes some really nice razors.