Question for Radeon 5000 series owners.

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
I have a 5770 coming to replace my 9800 GX2, and I've read about the HDMI connection disabling one of the DVI ports. My question is, can it be swapped in Windows? Meaning, can I leave them plugged in or am I going to have to swap cables everytime I want to use my TV?

footballrunner800

Jan 28, 2008
as long as youre not using both dvi ports, then you shouldn't have to do anything. HDMI to the tv and dvi to the monitor.

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
Both DVIs will be in use. 2 monitors and 1 TV. Otherwise I wouldn't need to ask about this. I need to know if they can be left connected and switched via Windows like Nvidia cards.

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
To be clear, I'm not trying to run 3 displays at once. I just need to know if I can switch my secondary monitor to my TV through the HDMI connection without having to swap out cables each time.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
I can't answer your question but thought this might help. I have ATi DVI->HDMI adaptors on both DVI connectors on my 4890 and an HDMI cable from each going to my monitor and my tv. My goal was to have the sound work out of both (not simultaneously as I only either have the monitor or the tv on.) It didn't work. Whichever unit had the sound tied to it originally was the one that got the sound. There isn't even a setting to swap it if I wanted to. Based on this, I'm guessing yours won't work either.

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
The HDMI sound output doesn't have much in common with my question, thanks for the input though.

Kinda surprising more people haven't ran into this.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Unfortunately, not a lot of people have a 5 series yet, and out of those that do, not many take advantage of the native HDMI.

:(

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
Someone with a 5000 card and 3 displays, speak up. Although, I'll be finding out the hard way tomorrow.

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
For anyone that was interested.

The answer to this is you would have to swap cables as it immediately disables one of the DVI's and it cannot be swapped back with the ATI software. The only way around cable swapping is cutting the power to the device you have on the HDMI. It does transition between the displays pretty fast so it isn't a huge issue.