Question for people with a fireplace

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
Ok I bought some firelogs from Wal-Mart and I have been using these forever, but I noticed just now on the package that it says not to use with anything else. I have always used these firelogs to start a fire and then piled firewood on top of it, is this not right?

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
I think they just don't want you piling on too much wood with the starter log and then end up with a huge bon fire in your living room.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
probably just marketing. i don't see how combining different firewoods would cause any problem.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I would cut them into (much) smaller peices and use them as starter logs for my logs.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
No offense but if you can't figure this out on your own you have no business building a fire in a dwelling. :confused:

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Those logs are really for an easy, aesthetic fire... like if you're entertaining or something. Touch a match to it and you're done. If you want a real fire, cut them up into starter size pieces as another poster said. Alternatively you can take a hatchet to a piece of dry wood and get a nice pile of kindling for a few minutes' effort.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze
I think they just don't want you piling on too much wood with the starter log and then end up with a huge bon fire in your living room.

lol

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001

We should just remove the warning labels from everything and let stupididy cure itself.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: illusion88

We should just remove the warning labels from everything and let stupididy cure itself.
But, but what about the lawyers!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..I have a Lopi wood stove on my hearth and use those for starter and then in goes the oak and cedar. Never a problem.