Question for my Canadian neighbors

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Do you call Postal Code "Post" or Province "Prov."?

Keep doing a google search on this and it comes up with the abbreviations for the provinces instead of the answer to my question.

Thanks!

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
There isn't an offical abbreviation for postal code. We all understand Prov to mean Province, though.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Thanks. I'm writing a spec to translate labels so that Canadian users will see Province instead of State and Postal Code instead of ZIP Code. This gets to be a real estate problem on screens and reports where the label is just ZIP or City/State/ZIP. Was wondering if Canadians shortened Postal code down to 'Post' and Province to 'Prov'.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
I assume you mean how "zip code" is abbreviated to "ZIP". As others have said, no.

Province is seen abbreviated as "Prov." as often as it is seen spelled in full.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Steve
Most Canadians will figure out P.C. to mean Postal Code.
i've never seen "P.C." on an address form. i think most Canucks would obviously know it but I certainly wouldn't put it on a form.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: meltdown75
i've never seen "P.C." on an address form. i think most Canucks would obviously know it but I certainly wouldn't put it on a form.

If I saw that, I would assume either an incorrect abbreviation for Personal Computer, or else "political correctness".

Neither of which you want.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: InflatableBuddha

If I saw that, I would assume either an incorrect abbreviation for Personal Computer, or else "political correctness".

So what about just "Post" or "Post Cd"?

(the end user is a bank and/or a car dealership btw)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004

Progressive Conservative. :Q

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
We are talking about a mailing address form, if you are Canadian and can't figure out what P.C. means in an address form context, you should not be online.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: sdifox
We are talking about a mailing address form, if you are Canadian and can't figure out what P.C. means in an address form context, you should not be online.

SRSLY :thumbsup:

Anyone that dumb should be living south of the border ;)

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I am sure many Canadians understand "Zip", and "Code" should also be sufficient... we're talking about an address form, nobody would figure they're being asked about their safe combination!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
I am sure many Canadians understand "Zip", and "Code" should also be sufficient... we're talking about an address form, nobody would figure they're being asked about their safe combination!

So the combination is one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
any idiot would know what PC means in that context.

i still wouldn't put it on an address form.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: sdifox
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson

So the combination is one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5? That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
any idiot would know what PC means in that context.

i still wouldn't put it on an address form.

Yup, we'd figure it out, but it's not the proper way. I suppose that some recent Immigrants and possibly French speakers in Quebec might have difficulty with the abbreviation though.

Most forms I've seen online spell things out and don't use abbreviations for such things. Even "Zip Code"/"State"/"Country" etc are never abbreviated. It's best to avoid any kind of potential confusion.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007

Progressive Conservative. :Q

Do not want! :p