Question for IT Admins

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I am on a domain (Windows 7 PCs)

My user is a standard user but the admin has given me his credentials for when I want to install software / udpates, etc.

I am trying to convert my account to an admin account so it wont have any restrictions but everytime I do that, upon restart, my account is reverted back to a standard account, what gives? How can I permenantly change it to an admin account?

I tried doing some command in DOS also to change my username to admin but upon reboot it goes away.

I dont know about networking or administration or from where to change a user type permanently

Also, when I login with my credentials, it takes ages until I see the desktop
frown.gif
But with the admin account it happens instantly . I dont know what's going on

attachment.php

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
If you are logging in to a domain, changing the account type locally will have no effect on your domain account since the account credentials and permissions are stored on the domain controller.

You can add your domain account to the local Administrators group on your computer, but I would ask the admin for permission first simply so they he is aware in case something happens. He probably won't care since he gave you his own admin account info, but I wouldn't do it without checking with him first.

D.SKiLL

Mar 6, 2011
are you adding the user locally or using the domain credentials to login? generally you would have to be logged into the local admin account, or an account that that has local admin rights to change this setting. Also if the domain-ed computer is subject to certain group policies, then your Domain user account may not be able to be added as a local admin. also i noticed that the two accounts are for different Domains, its possible that the Domain admin isnt even added as a admin user hence the settings wouldn't stick.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
are you adding the user locally or using the domain credentials to login? generally you would have to be logged into the local admin account, or an account that that has local admin rights to change this setting. Also if the domain-ed computer is subject to certain group policies, then your Domain user account may not be able to be added as a local admin. also i noticed that the two accounts are for different Domains, its possible that the Domain admin isnt even added as a admin user hence the settings wouldn't stick.

very nice observations there man.

well this is what I did

I logged in with his credentials (he is an admin)

then I went to users, then manage other users, then I click ADD, then I enter MY username which I use to login to the PC, then I enter the domain, which is QUINTHQ

I think Im missing some vital step here

Please give me a step by step guide as I have no idea how to do this
One thing I notice, is that when I add my username, why does it have the earth icon on it where as the user below me has a d00d with a computer behind him? does that make any diff?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
While logged in as the domain administrator, in the User Accounts screen:

Click the Advanced tab
Click the Advanced button
Click Groups
Right-click on Administrators
Left-click on Add to Group
Click the Add button
Type your full domain name (DOMAIN\Username) in the "Enter object names to select" box
Click the OK button
Click the OK button

Your domain account will now be a member of the local Administrators group on your computer.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
The admin has probably enabled group restrictions for the local administrator group via Group Policy. Unlike other group policy settings, you aren't denied the ability to modify the membership of restricted groups, but Windows will remove any unapproved group member each time Group Policy settings refresh.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
The admin has probably enabled group restrictions for the local administrator group via Group Policy. Unlike other group policy settings, you aren't denied the ability to modify the membership of restricted groups, but Windows will remove any unapproved group member each time Group Policy settings refresh.

I think this is exactly what's happening.

Because I followed the above instructions and again I was added to the Administrators group while I was logged on. But when I restarted, I was back to a normal bloody user :rolleyes:

How can I remove that policy?

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003

Because I followed the above instructions and again I was added to the Administrators group while I was logged on. But when I restarted, I was back to a normal bloody user :rolleyes:

Why do you want to make your user account an admin so bad. Standard user works fine. I'm an admin and I log into Windows each day with a standard user account. I only elevate my privileges when I need to.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009

There's nothing you can do about it locally, short of removing the machine from the domain or adding a scheduled task that continually adds you account to the local Administrators group. You'd have to ask the admin to reconfigure the policy so it excludes your PC.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001

Contact an admin and have your account added to the policy. The policy would be pretty pointless if you could circumvent it so easily wouldn't it?

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
ah I see, I guess Ill just live with using a standard user then and login via admin if I need to update anything

thanks for all your input

D.SKiLL

Mar 6, 2011

only the admin of the domain can change the Group policies. you could ask him to allow you to use the local admin account to add your user as a admin on that machine. Doing this will bypass the GP, and allow you admin access ONLY on that computer and since he allowed you his credentials i don't see what he wouldn't do this.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
ah I see, I guess Ill just live with using a standard user then and login via admin if I need to update anything

thanks for all your input

Which is the point. You shouldn't be running as admin for your daily usage and if the guy that gave you the admin account wanted you to be an admin yourself he would've just put you in that GPO, right?