question for guitar players about 12 string guitars

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I'm relatively new to playing guitar, so sorry if this a dumb question, but what is the difference between a 12 string and a regular 6 string guitar (beyond what the name would imply)? Are all 12 strings independent? I've never seen one up close but it looks like the strings are somehow "layered", but I can't tell for sure. Does it just allow you to play a wider range of notes, or more notes at once?

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Twelve strings play like a six string. Just imagine a six string guitar with very thin strings a mm away from the regular strings. It gives the guitar a very bright sound, and usually gives the same affect as a chorus pedal to the sound.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
...And Rickenbacker puts the fat strings "on top," just because they like it that way ....confused the hell out of me when I re-strung it the first time.

The four lower-pitch strings (pair) are an octave apart, the last two pair are tuned to the same pitch.

Guild (or at least the "old" Guild) was the best production 12 in the world, great action (for a 12), killer sound (IMHO) ...

You'll never forget the sound of a well-played 12 string guitar, it's just ..... beautiful.

Howzit goin Muc?

FWIW
Scott