Question for fitness geeks: Do ankle weights work?

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
Well do they??? I've been considering getting them, but i have no idea if they're good or bad.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yeah they'll definitely make the same distance/speed harder with them on, but you can surely get a damn good workout without them.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
In my younger days, a friend and I used ankle weights while sparring for about a month...

There was only one thing they made us better at...and that was sparring with ankle weights on

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
I don't get what they exactly do. Do they build up your calfs? Do you jump higher, run faster, skip longer, etc.???

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
In general:

Longer, Lighter Workouts = muscle tone and fitness and better cardio.
Shorter, Heavier Workouts = build muscle strength.

This is just a general guideline, and of course there are varying degrees of grey.
But depending on what you are going for, ankle weights could be great, or they could be useless.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000

<< Do they work? >>

They work really hard at tearing up your knee which isnt designed for the forces that added weight at the very end of your leg can add up too.

I'm no physics expert, (it wouldnt surprise me if one were lurking near here at ATOT :)) but consider the forces that a 2 pound weight at the end of an 18" lever ( your lower leg) could produce being swung back and forth as a person walked or ran.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
No, they aren't good for you. All that extra weight down there throws off your body mechanics and your legs et al have to compensate for it, all for bad effect. This info based on an old study to discover its effects. This is similar to another study about batters warming up in the batter's circle (holding and swinging) with 2 or 3 bats at a time. The idea that if you can swing 2/3 bats well, then using only 1 would be better/easier/faster. End result: batters who warmed up with 1 bat did better.

For better legs, run, cycle, leg presses, (carefully) squats etc.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< I don't get what they exactly do. Do they build up your calfs? Do you jump higher, run faster, skip longer, etc.??? >>

Each of those have their own machines...

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
I think strength shoes work better for jumping and other explosive movements. Ankle weights did nothing but mess up my mechanics and timing for me.