Question for drummers

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
i just started drumming, but instead of taking classes, im learning from a book/cd. i have a good sense of rythm, and surprisingly, i am coordinated enough to do different things at the same time with my limbs.

my question is in the book, on the staff, i have quarter ntoes telling me to play the kick, but then it goes to an eith note conencted to a note with an x instead of the black bulb.

what does this denote? (it's similar to how the hi hat is denoted as either open or closed)

thanks

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I haven't played in a year... but I think that might be if you hit it in the center, not dead center but where the cymbal comes up a little, or anywhere else you would hit. I'm talking about the ride cymbal...

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Do you know what instrument on the drum set its for? I might be able to help a bit better then since I don't remember what is line for what off of the top of my head

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
this is for the kick, the bass drum. ( the equivalent of position of note F on a standard note scale)

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Hmmm..... I don't recall anything special for the bass drum like that.... I'll ask some of my drumming buddies and if I get an answer I'll post back. If I don't, I didn't get an answer.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I asked one of them... he doesn't know

I haven't played since 8th grade in a band and I don't have the phone numbers of theose who I played with.

You might wanna ask around here

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Sorry I didn't see this thread. I'm a long time drummer with lots of fun experience, but that's another thread.

The "x" you see in your music is a stroke on the high-hats (but does not specify open or closed).

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
thanks for the replies, but why would they tell me to play the hi hat when the x is on the same line that tells me to play the kick?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: KidViciou$
take a look at this

The note i'm talkin about

That might mean to close the high hat. What about hitting the bass on the first note, letting go, and on the next note hitting and holding it there. I don't think I ever came across a note like that when I played...

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
it makes no sense to me either, and i have a steady tempo of playing the hi hat closed, so there is no opening and closing of it.

the book has no mention of this note either, i dont know what hte point of holding the pedal down after playing the kick would do.

iotone

Dec 1, 2000
i would think it was a rim click on the snare, but since it's in the bass drum, i'm thinking it might just be a typo??

Adrian Tung

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: KidViciou$
it makes no sense to me either, and i have a steady tempo of playing the hi hat closed, so there is no opening and closing of it.

the book has no mention of this note either, i dont know what hte point of holding the pedal down after playing the kick would do.

See my link above for notation - I think it really means close the hi hat. Since you say you already play with the hi hat closed, maybe at that instance you should slightly release and then close it again to get that *chip* kinda sound (something like tap... tap... tap... ... tap... ka-chip... tap... tap... etc?)

:)atwl

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
ahhhhhhHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!

Thanks!!! that looks to be correct!

but there are times where i get that notation on the same beat that i tap it with my drum stick, so should i still clap the hi hat and tap it with the stick?

Adrian Tung

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not sure... like most of the other posters here, I've been out of practice for quite a while already. I also learnt like you - mainly practicing from books (but I had about a month of training from a friend on grip and snare technique).

In this sort of situation, I took the easy way out - I still tap the hihat as my foot goes down to close it. :D

:)atwl