Question for Cat Owners about scratching

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
What do you do to keep your cats from scratching carpet, stairs, etc short of declawing? We've gotten my three cats scratching posts, we've bought this spray at Petsmart called 'Stay Away!' and sprayed the carpet and couches, we've tried spraying them with water bottles every time they scratch, we've even kept their claws trimmed and covered with softpaws to no avail

At this point, it looks like either declawing or giving them up for adoption in order to save our carpet and couches.

How have you handled your cat's scratching instinct?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
we happened to leave a rug to be thrown out near the stairs upside down. I noticed that later the cat was scratching the carpet(glue/pad side) and it has been there ever since.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy
What do you do to keep your cats from scratching carpet, stairs, etc short of declawing? We've gotten my three cats scratching posts, we've bought this spray at Petsmart called 'Stay Away!' and sprayed the carpet and couches, we've tried spraying them with water bottles every time they scratch, we've even kept their claws trimmed and covered with softpaws to no avail

At this point, it looks like either declawing or giving them up for adoption in order to save our carpet and couches.

Let them outside.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
I have 3 cats and I have never had a problem. I just did what you have done. I would recommend putting catnip on the scratching posts to get them attracted to it.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
also putting tape on the couch for a small amount of time will help. They will try to scratch and they hate sticking to stuff.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Codewiz
also putting tape on the couch for a small amount of time will help. They will try to scratch and they hate sticking to stuff.

We tried that too. Then Pigpen, the black short-haired cat, started eating the tape. He ended up at the Vet because he had trouble digesting it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy

Don't worry, cats die after 12-15 years of life...Then you can replace your carpet and sofas.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Try different scratching products to see which one suits your cat.

Declawing is considered by many to be cruel and can cause biting problems, among others.