Question Question for 2080ti owners

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Hi,

Do your Geforce 2080ti card make a buzzing sound under load (not the fans)?
I've recently posted a similar topic about this, but I'm seeing conflicting comments about whether this is expected or not for the 2080ti.

Feedback from 2080ti owners would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thor86

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
This is probably regular coil whine. Is there an improvement if you enable vsync or a framerate cap?

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for the replies. (I use framerate limiter at 99, and an Acer x34p monitor.)
This is similar to what I have, though my card sounds a bit more intens and higher-pitched (not my video):

There is also a slight buzz/coil whine from the motherboard capacitors around the CPU too (Asus Z390-F), but I guess I can live with that. Sigh.., I *almost* miss using iMacs, where everything just worked.

Looks like I'm returning the 2080ti then...

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You duid not say what MFG and model card you have. If its NOT EVGA, I suggest you look at those. They have a great warranty and great quality.

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
You duid not say what MFG and model card you have. If its NOT EVGA, I suggest you look at those. They have a great warranty and great quality.
Thanks for the advice. It's a Gainward Geforce 2080ti Phoenix, if I return it, I'll probably get another of the same type - but I'll check out those EVGA models.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Thanks for the advice. It's a Gainward Geforce 2080ti Phoenix, if I return it, I'll probably get another of the same type - but I'll check out those EVGA models.
Just saying, you being a Mac person, you are used to quality, and EVGA is the best, and not always the most expensive. Gainward ? I don't think I have even heard of them.

Now this one is definitly not the cheapest, but its fast and its cooler, due to the 3 fans, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1FT-001K-003E4

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
I have purchased 2 2080 Ti's (MSI Gaming X Trio and eVGA FTW Ultra)

MSI Gaming X Trio 2080 Ti - Coil whine so bad that I returned it for the eVGA
eVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080 Ti - Still has audible coil whine that varies with the game I am playing, but its tolerable.

And I also have Acer 34P (3440X1440, 120Hz, G-Sync) so I wonder if maybe its the high refresh rate doing it? either way, I got Samsung memory with my eVGA, that will hit +1300 on the memory, so I will put up with a little whine.

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Because I was asking specifically about buzzing there, and wanted a fresh topic to find out better how common 2080ti without coil whine is - to avoid confirmation bias.

Thanks, Rayman30. Interesting point. Maybe the combination of high resolution and high refresh rate triggers more coil whine? Who knows...

Just saying, you being a Mac person, you are used to quality, and EVGA is the best, and not always the most expensive. Gainward ? I don't think I have even heard of them.

Now this one is definitly not the cheapest, but its fast and its cooler, due to the 3 fans, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1FT-001K-003E4

I'll look out for that one. Gainward is one of the bigger companies afaik, they've been around a long time. The reason I choose it, was it also has the triple fan open heatsink design.

Again, I appreciate all the input. This is an expensive card, so it's great to hear other 2080ti owners' experiences. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Sheninat0r

Jun 8, 2007
i've had three 2080Ti FEs buzz under load, from batches 0325, 0324, and 0325 again. it did not vary across two power supplies i tested (Seasonic M12D 850 and Corsair HX750i) but did vary by motherboard - it was worst by far on an Asus Prime X470-Pro, less bad on an Asus Crosshair VII, and almost inaudible on an AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac. it seems like it has to do with dirty power in the pci-e slot; people have long reported that power conditioners at the wall socket can deal with many kinds of whining or buzzing from a PC.

Reactions: Mac34

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
i've had three 2080Ti FEs buzz under load, from batches 0325, 0324, and 0325 again. it did not vary across two power supplies i tested (Seasonic M12D 850 and Corsair HX750i) but did vary by motherboard - it was worst by far on an Asus Prime X470-Pro, less bad on an Asus Crosshair VII, and almost inaudible on an AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac. it seems like it has to do with dirty power in the pci-e slot; people have long reported that power conditioners at the wall socket can deal with many kinds of whining or buzzing from a PC.

I notice that when I turn on V-Sync, the buzz goes away. I currently run on an 9900K, 2080 TI on an Asus Hero X (Z370) PSU is an eVGA 1000W G2

Guru

May 5, 2017
Use glass wool to insulate your case and reduce the noise. Use big case fans to improve fan noise and at the same time increase air flow. Also place your PC a bit farther from where you game.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I had a Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP that would buzz so loud you'd think it was as a cricket orgy. This is also at ~99%+ load, 100 FPS, 3440x1440, ie GPU at full load. But the card got the critters and died, replacement be here in about a week will report if it has a case of the bzzrt.

OatisCampbell

Jun 26, 2013

Gainward has been a NVIDIA partner forever, back in the day they would have great names like "Golden Iridescent Duckling Edition".
I haven't seen them around in the states for years, probably more an Asian/European brand.

Leadtek and Gainward used to be the brands to get, long ago.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
It’s cool whine and yes mine has a buzzing sound as well. I have the XC model from EVGA.

Reactions: Thor86

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

OK, so I bought an Asus Rog Strix 2080 ti, but the fans' sound profile is kinda weird. Rog Strix has a rotor engine hum when the fans run above 28-29% speed. Also, above 45% the fans produce a defined pitch/resonnance, compared to the Gainward's unpitched "white noise". At 25% speed or lower, one of the fans constantly turns on and off (making 0rpm mode useless). Is this fan operation normal for Rog Strix 2080 ti, or did I get a bad card?
(Running the fans at 100% creates an intermittant buzzing sound, I'm wondering if one or more of the fans are not balanced/alligned properly.)

The Rog Strix also has plenty of coil whine/buzzing, sometimes even when idle. Seems like I can't catch a break here...

You are not allowed to edit or remove
moderator comments. This is your
one-time freebie. Don't do it again.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I get the feeling coil whine is just going to become more of an issue as we get into these beefier GPU designs. But I'm not an engineer and I don't claim to fully understand it's origins.

A card with any kind of noise/whine when idle is something I'd not consider normal. My card (Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP second one, RMA'd first for unrelated issue) has the exact same buzzing noise as my first one. But it only does it during high load. It's super annoying, but there isn't much I can do.

Reactions: Mac34

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
So, I ended up getting a third 2080ti. This is an MSI Ventus 2080 ti, and was the replacement for my intial GPU. Also MSI has some coil whine, but less than the other cards - esp. compared to Rog Strix, also Ventus' coil whine diminished a bit after the first few days (unlike Rog Strix).

The MSI card performs really well, and this is just the regular card, not the A-binned OC version. The Afterburner OC scanner gave me 238mhz average higher clock speed (significantly higher than the Gainward card). Also tested a couple of games, and the framerate was slightly higher than with Rog Strix OC (both using the Afternburner scanner OC).

I have to say the Rog Strix card was a big let down (maybe I got a bad one), and it's definitely going back to the store.

It seems some coil whine is to be expected when using a 2080ti, though some cards are worse than others. I'm sticking with the MSI card.

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Juiblex