Question: Cashing Check with future date?

JeremyJoe

Dec 8, 2000
I was wondering if you recieved a check that was dated say 7-1-04, but signed and everything, can we cash it now?.....If the person closed his/her account before that date, then i would be out the money that is written for the check or would it eventually find its way to his/her account?

thanks atot

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
No, the bank won't take it. And if they did, the bank it was drawn on would send it back, and there would be returned check fees. If the account is closed before the date on the check, it would be returned as well. Basically, don't ever take a post dated check.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: nodoubts2k
My mom dates checks one day before they are due just to piss off the companies :D

They don't look. They just send them in. I figure she'll be the one who's pissed off if the bank ever returns the check and she gets hit with the rip-off return-check and late fees.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: JeremyJoe
I was wondering if you recieved a check that was dated say 7-1-04, but signed and everything, can we cash it now?.....If the person closed his/her account before that date, then i would be out the money that is written for the check or would it eventually find its way to his/her account?

thanks atot

What are you doing with a 3-4 month post-dated check? Sounds like a shady deal. I wouldn't be so trusting.

EDIT: Remember, until a check, any check, is cleared, it is for all intents and purposes, only an I.O.U. If it's for some deal where you're selling something, I wouldn't give up the goods until the check cleared. Since you must have agreed to delay you acceptance of payment until 7-1, I'd approach that person on 7-1 and ask for the cash in exchange for the check (only an I.O.U. as far as you're concerned) before I deposited it. (It also serves as a reminder to that person, if you still trust that the check is good, that you will be depositing it and his balance will soon reflect that.)