----> Question: Buy Titan X (Pascal) Today - Advice

Buy Titan X Pascal Today ?

• Total voters

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
I want to buy it, but i think this is not the full chip.

TitanX --------> 3584 CUDA core
Pascal P6000 ------> 3,840 CUDA core

256 CUDA core difference.

Is it better to wait for the full chip ? Is it going to be released ?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Depends on what you are running now. Likely nVidia will have to counter Vega either with a new card or a price reduction. If you can hold out until then you will likely get a better deal. If you need something now though and only the new Titan can satisfy you, go for it.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
they don't need to and probably wont release a full chip version...
they did it with the original Titan later (the Titan Black), because competition forced them on the 780 ti I think, and they couldn't keep selling Titans with less SPs than the 780 ti...
if we get a 1080 ti it's probably going to look more like a 980 ti, more stuff disabled compared to the Titan XP

but who knows...

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
Depends on what you are running now. Likely nVidia will have to counter Vega either with a new card or a price reduction. If you can hold out until then you will likely get a better deal. If you need something now though and only the new Titan can satisfy you, go for it.

I'd just wait a few months for the cheaper 1080Ti versions with proper coolers.

hello!
i m not interested in amd gpus or gtx 1080ti, i need to decide between titanx and "full Pascal"

they don't need to and probably wont release a full chip version...
they did it with the original Titan later (the Titan Black), because competition forced them on the 780 ti I think, and they couldn't keep selling Titans with less SPs than the 780 ti...
if we get a 1080 ti it's probably going to look more like a 980 ti, more stuff disabled compared to the Titan XP

but who knows...

this is really interesting.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
hello!
i m not interested in amd gpus or gtx 1080ti, i need to decide between titanx and "full Pascal"

this is really interesting.
I wasn't suggesting that you buy AMD. Just wait for some competition in the high end to make pricing more reasonable. You want to spend $1200 on a graphics card, go for it. I don't think you're going to see full Pascal (assuming your OP is accurate) anytime soon.

Mar 10, 2006
I want to buy it, but i think this is not the full chip.

TitanX --------> 3584 CUDA core
Pascal P6000 ------> 3,840 CUDA core

256 CUDA core difference.

Is it better to wait for the full chip ? Is it going to be released ?

I bought a Titan X and it is a phenomenal product -- I wish I had more time to game to really get the most out of it.

But I voted "no" in your poll. You have indicated in other threads that you don't game and just buy hardware pretty much for the lulz. Unless you are very rich and can afford to spend $1200 on tech items that you don't really plan to use (and if you were I don't think you'd be asking for advice here), I don't think this is a good purchase for you.

Just my two cents.

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
I wasn't suggesting that you buy AMD. Just wait for some competition in the high end to make pricing more reasonable. You want to spend $1200 on a graphics card, go for it. I don't think you're going to see full Pascal (assuming your OP is accurate) anytime soon.

Hello!
Thanks for the advice, a little competition can change prices, but if there is no "full pascal" (only p6000), it s probably not worth to wait and hope for months!

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
I bought a Titan X and it is a phenomenal product -- I wish I had more time to game to really get the most out of it.

But I voted "no" in your poll. You have indicated in other threads that you don't game and just buy hardware pretty much for the lulz. Unless you are very rich and can afford to spend $1200 on tech items that you don't really plan to use (and if you were I don't think you'd be asking for advice here), I don't think this is a good purchase for you.

Just my two cents.

Hello again! No, i m not rich and i can t buy another card if i take the titanx now.
So i really need to understand if the big pascal is going to be released before buy :(

DamZe

May 18, 2016
OP why wait? If you have the money, if you need the Pascal Titan X performance at this very moment, waiting for a potentially better deal down the road is not always the best solution. If you absolutely need a Titan X, then go get one, a 1080Ti won't be faster that's for sure so you are not going to lose performance like the original Titan owners did when the 780Ti came out for less money. DX12/Vulkan? Who knows, chances are the Titan X(P) will brute force its way through it, just don't expect to rule 4K with it, as games get more demanding so will 4K, but for 1440p? You're set.

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
OP why wait? If you have the money, if you need the Pascal Titan X performance at this very moment, waiting for a potentially better deal down the road is not always the best solution. If you absolutely need a Titan X, then go get one, a 1080Ti won't be faster that's for sure so you are not going to lose performance like the original Titan owners did when the 780Ti came out for less money. DX12/Vulkan? Who knows, chances are the Titan X(P) will brute force its way through it, just don't expect to rule 4K with it, as games get more demanding so will 4K, but for 1440p? You're set.
Hello! As i wrote i can t buy another card if i take titanx now, so i want to be sure to buy the best pascal chip of this gen

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
The 256 cores are unlikely to have anything more than a marginal effect on performance. We have no clue if a full GP102 chip will ever be released to consumers. Just by the Titan X if you have the money and want the performance.

HannooFX

Jun 6, 2016
Full Pascal probably won't be released, because AMD has nothing to compete with. so nvidia is happy selling Titans for $1200.
I personally wouldn't pay $1200 for graphics card, however it is a beast

DamZe

May 18, 2016
Hello! As i wrote i can t buy another card if i take titanx now, so i want to be sure to buy the best pascal chip of this gen

What resolution do you plan to stick with for the forseable future? 2x 1080 is around 1500-1600$, that is more than enough for 4K, but SLI is not always going to work in every game etc.. for rock solid 1440p gaming a GTX 1080 is also good, two would be overkill, and a Titan X would be "futureproof", but again if you have money, and you want it, go for it!

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I doubt very much if AMD will have Vega ready before year end, let alone match the Titan, so doubt NV will release competition for their own card.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I would say it's pretty likely we'll see a full GP102 released at some point, so if you buy a Titan X now you very well might not get the best Pascal card. That's an unknown though, as are timelines. As others have said, if you want and need Titan X performance now go ahead and get it. If you don't really need it, $1200 is a lot to spend on a GPU just because. It might turn out like Kepler where in <9 months we'll see a full GP102 chip released as a Ti for 70% of what the Titan X cost, but there's always something better. With Kepler you could have skipped the OG Titan and waited for the 780 Ti, but then less than a year later the 980 came out for <80% of the price of the 780 Ti with as much of a performance delta between it and the 780 Ti as the 780 Ti was above the OG Titan.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
I voted against it for two reasons:

1. I would never spend that much on a GPU.
2. The 1080Ti will eventually come out for much less money and likely be closer to full Pascal.

Now if you want to spend that money and don't want to wait... then the answer is clear. LOL

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Its the best card out there and will likely be for some time. Even if 'Full' Pascal comes out, if you're willing to spend $1200 now then whats another $1200 in 6 months?

But really, unless you are just in it for the e peen/hobby/benchmarks... I don't know what games at what settings are worth spending $1200 for a GPU alone.

My serious answer is, if you have to ask, don' buy it. If you are 'worried' a full chip might come out in six months then get out of this segment altogether. The ultra high end is for people that blow their noses with $1200 bucks. If price is any concern, a regular 1080 is a wayyyy better deal.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
The application matters a lot for two chips focused on different things...

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
Are there any water blocks available for that Tiatan X? I'm also thinking about this card and I'm not concerned about 2% less performance because it's not a fully enabled die. However, that crappy cooler is just plain unacceptable!

My serious answer is, if you have to ask, don' buy it. If you are 'worried' a full chip might come out in six months then get out of this segment altogether. The ultra high end is for people that blow their noses with $1200 bucks. If price is any concern, a regular 1080 is a wayyyy better deal.

No, it's not that much better. Price/performance is still very crappy. I can buy the Titan X for 45% more than that 1080 and after OC it's almost as much faster. So 1080 at current inflated prices is IMHO a worse deal.