question bout new thermaltake gf4 cooler

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
be4 u say, it, i know this is probably in the wrong forum, but any way,
does any1 know if the thermaltake GF4 cooler will work on a GF3? specificly a Creative Ti200?

thanx in advance

nemo160

Jul 16, 2001
i don't know for sure, but you could probably at least get it to work using thermal tape or epoxy if the pins won't line up
as long as there aren't any ramsinks in the way
couldn't find a pic of your specific card...but ramsinks strike me as the only thing that could be in the way of mounting it
find the measurements of the cooler and the measure clearances on your card

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
if u want i can send u sum pics of the card. i think ive got some somewhere on my hd.

nemo160

Jul 16, 2001
the main thing to do is just get the measurements of the gf4 cooler and then bust out a ruler and see if your card has room for it
ideal mounting would be to use pins through the holse but i doubt those will match up, so either use thermal tape (pretty sure it will come with some) or AS epoxy
thermal taped on it will be somewhat difficult to remove..AS epoxy it will be very hard to remove without destroying the card
that said i believe AS epoxy has better heat transfer characteristics, so i'd probably go ahead and epoxy it and consider it a permanent addition to the card

KouklatheCat

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
BoomAM,

Is this the cooler you are talking about? If so have you found it anywhere online for sale?

If so it looks like a great cooler. Im plainning on getting one and AS ing it to my GF4. I can't find any pics of your GF3 Ti200 either.

nemo160

Jul 16, 2001
why wouldn't it work?
as long as there is enough clearance between it and the ramsinks i'd think he could epoxy it on and go with it

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
in reply to KouklatheCat, yes that is the cooler i`m talkin about.

i`ve decided to get a crystal orb, cos the thermaltake gf4 cooler isnt sold in uk at the moment.

currently by creative ti200 is clocked from the standard 175/400 to 210/500. if i fitted a crystal orb would i be able to get it upto a core
speed of 240mhz ?.

is it worth replacing the standard heatsinks with some new ones? or are they ok.

thanx in advance

ps. for pics of the card, goto the 3D Blaster Website

KouklatheCat

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
If you cant get your core as high as you would like with the orb atleast using the orb will likely prolong the life of your GPU since its not likely to die from heat. Are you planning on running the orb off the fan header on your video card or? Id look at the voltage etc before running it off the card just to make sure.

nemo160

Jul 16, 2001
orbs have 3 pin headers (at lest the blorbs that i've worked with) while most cards only use a 2 pin header, so its easier just to run it off the mobo chassis fan header

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
i`ll be connecting it directly to the Mobo headers. my mobo (KT7A-RAID) has plenty of mobo headers so i`ll be fine.

ive heard that if you remove the fan guard off the crystal orb, then it cools slightly better due to the increased airflow and is quieter. is the true?

thanx in advance