Question question about Windows 11 preview and upgrading

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
So I was bored and stupidly joined the Win 11 DEV program in September. I guess I didn't remember how when I did the same crap with XP, when the final came out I had to do a clean install. So I googled this and read that if you disable stop getting preview builds when MS rolls out the official the system will be updated. Naturally, the option's grayed out on mine. I Googled and see you can possibly fix this with a change to the registry. But it's not recommended as it can hose your system. So I saw there was an official Win 11 ISO on MS's site. Of course, you can't just install it over the preview build, only Windows 10. So I did some reading and am finding the wording a bit confusing.

I'm assuming since I can't turn off the option to stop getting preview builds, I won't get the release version of 11 in whenever MS rolls it out over the next few months. But if I can't change the grayed out option, and I can't install directly from the ISO. Is there any way I'll be able to get the retail 11 on my laptop without performing a clean install? Google's telling me the preview version will expire in September. So I'm trying to wrap my head around what I can do here before September comes. I know worse case I should be able to do some sort of backup or migrate or whatever they have in the newer version of Win then do a clean install, then get everything back on like it is now. Would that even work here though?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
You should be able change out of the Dev program to the release version. I followed this:

Thanks for the reply, should being the key word, The option to opt-out of the dev program's grayed out and from a lot of reading on Google there are others having the same issue. And it doesn't seem like MS is even addressing this, so I don't see them fixing it. I suppose by September maybe an alternative method to fix this might surface.