Question about using different brand speakers together in my home theater

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Currently my home theater consists of the Energy Micro 5.0 satellites with a Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer. I enjoy the experience they give.

I have 2 Definitive Technology BP8B towers I was thinking of moving to the home theater as my two fronts and using the 5 Energy Micro to complete a 7.1 set up.

I'm looking for opinions as to whether these speakers/woofer would work well together and improve my home theater experience. A) Would they match well or B) they wouldn't match and I am better off just keeping the 5.1 setup I have now?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
In general, it's best (almost required) that the left, center, and right speakers be voice matched. The others matter far less. Subwoofers need not be matched simply because the receiver (or subwoofer) can do the proper balancing.

With what you're intending, I'd stick with the Energy for Home Theater. I'd only use the Def. Towers for stereo. If you were to get a matching center speaker for the Def. Towers, then you could throw those in for the LCR fronts and use the Energy satellites as your surrounds.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
I knew I was not remembering something. Yes, I've read that many times about the LCR should match. I'll just keep my setup the same for now. Thanks!

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i would be afraid those towers would overpower the energy micro when used as a center

i would get a center to match them and redo the entire front

Kini1000

Oct 19, 2016
Try it and see/listen/hear for yourself. I can work, how well is another question. You might have to bump the level of the center up. Or if your mains are not too far apart you can run a phantom center which might be better until you can get a larger center channel speaker.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Depending upon the AVR powering it all, a phantom center might be best. Those BP8s will provide a much greater range than the EM5. I have six BP7002 towers along with a couple BPX surrounds, CLR2500 and CLR3000 (I went through a DT collection phase a few years ago) and at one time had them arranged in a 6.1 setup and then experimented with adding and removing different center speakers and ultimately found that I preferred having no center speaker, but a big part of that comes down to the bipole nature of my speakers. A lot of it will depend on the room and seating position, of course.

To be honest, I'm finding that most store-bought speakers all fall a bit short when it comes to performance. Right now I'm looking at building my own LCR setup using three of these:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers/elusive-1099/fusion-1099.html

No replacement for displacement, as they say.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Many thanks for all of the replies. I will investigate the phantom center configuration! That sounds promising

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I was in your situation earlier this year with upgrading my home theater setup at our new house. I ended buying EMP Tek bookshelves, r56ci center and their I-12 sub. I use 2 of my energy minis for surrounds currently. This setup sounds better than anything I've had before (which isn't much and I'm no audiophile). I'd try what you have and see how they sound. If you like it your good. At least you know.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
My front three are the same (infinity Beta) but my sides and rear speakers are polk wall mounted speakers. The front three should be voice matched. Sure you can get away with different brands but it is pretty standard to keep all front three the same.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ideally you want your front 3 speakers to be the exact same speakers. Most people can't do that though because the center channel would be blocking the display, which is why they make "center channel" speakers that lay horizontally and "pair" with the LR speakers.

In your case can't you just do trial and error since you already have all of the components? Just hook it all up and see how it sounds?

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Also the center is really the main channel. You want a strong speaker in the center. Using towers for L/R then a small center won't be good IMO.