Question Question about USB port compatibility

Mtj

Oct 9, 2016
I'm looking to purchase a new computer and plan to buy a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite as a motherboard and a Fractal Design Meshify S2 as a case among other components.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite has a Front USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C connector and Fractal Design Meshify S2 has a USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C connector at the front of the case. One of the reasons I like Fractal Design S2 is the type C connector, which in my opinion makes the case "futureproof".

Is it possible to connect the USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C on the motherboard to USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C on the case?

Should I look for a case with USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C connector on the front, instead?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Motherboard.png
    Motherboard.png
    976.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Case.png
    Case.png
    359.8 KB · Views: 6

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of USB connectors.

USB 3.1 Gen 2 and 3.2 Gen 2 refer to the same thing (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbit). The USB Forum are experts at confusion.

Is it possible to connect the USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C on the motherboard to USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C on the case?

Yes. The mainboard has a Type-E socket, so if the case uses a standard Type-E plug, it should fit as-is.

Should I look for a case with USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C connector on the front, instead?

I don't think case manufacturers have gotten around to re-branding yet. So that may be futile.

Reactions: Campy