Question question about upgrading my wifi dongles

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I just bought an ac1900 router, and I realized that I have several old wireless g and wireless n wifi dongles that I use to occasionally hook my different computers up to the internet, and sometimes to copy files between computers.

I found myself wondering if it might be worth upgrading these things, since they are all at least 5 years old or more.

Can anyone recommend a wifi dongle that is at least rated ac1200?

Thanks so much!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If the devices you mentioned were PCs, not laptops without ethernet port, then WiFi extenders will be much better choices. They have longer antennas and bigger boxes for heat dissipation, so it will have better signal and will last longer than WiFi adapters.

If you really want adapters

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

~$13 good price? I've used these before, realtek chipset, 3x3.

If you need BT as well on same dongle. I use these currently.

Last edited:

sj92

Dec 15, 2021
I receive TTL expired in transit while connecting to my wireless network.

There is no problem when I use ethernet cable to connect the modem.

I think it is packet routing issue. Any thoughts on it?

How to Solve TTL Expired in Transit
I just bought an ac1900 router, and I realized that I have several old wireless g and wireless n wifi dongles that I use to occasionally hook my different computers up to the internet, and sometimes to copy files between computers.

I found myself wondering if it might be worth upgrading these things, since they are all at least 5 years old or more.

Can anyone recommend a wifi dongle that is at least rated ac1200?

Thanks so much!
You should go for backward compatible adapters. You can buy an AC/G backward compatible range extender to solve this problem. So you can use your old wireless G dongles in your network.

Last edited: