Question about updating java and flash?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Chops McGandhi, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Chops McGandhi

I had always been told that when you update java or flash to uninstall the previous version first. Is this still the case?

2. berryracer

berryracer Platinum Member

sure you can always install over the previous versions and have bugs.

it takes literally 2 seconds to uninstall it man. Just do that

And for Adobe Flash Player and Shokwave Player, there are separate uninstallers for them so when there is a new version, I run the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller then I install the new version

3. GrumpyMan

GrumpyMan Diamond Member

Don't bother with it, just update myself. I've never heard that, only if it messes up.

4. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

This. I never do that and have never heard of doing that. The only thing I have heard that for is video card drivers.

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Golden Member

:rolleyes:

SMDH.

6. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Java is special in that so many apps require specific versions of the JRE that you may need to ensure that certain versions never get updated. If you're just talking about keeping a recent version installed for the browser plugin, just update it like normal and move on. Same thing for Flash, just let the autoupdate service do its thing.

7. uallas5

uallas5 Senior member

I only uninstall Flash when there's a major version/number change, i.e 10 to 11. If you don't you tend to have both listed in the programs uninstall area. Java, on the other hand, recommends you uninstall the older version unless you need it for a specific program, as Nothinman stated. I've seen upwards of 8 different versions of Java listed on XP computers.