Question about unlocking phones

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
What are the benefits of unlocking your phone?
For iPhones, if you unlock your phone and go to a different carrier, can you still get the wi-fi everywhere with "edge?"

And if you use a different carrier with an iPhone (and the internet works), do you only have to pay a 3rd party carrier's monthly fee for an iPhone's talking feature AND internet feature?

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Oiprocs
Yes.

Ohhhh so instead of paying 60 bucks / month, I "could" (hypothetically) buy an unlocked one and only pay say... 15 bucks / month for similar service?

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
My friend has Tmobile. He bought an iPhone, found some guy on craigslist who unlocks the phones/makes everything work fine on it for a fee.

Then he called up Tmobile and added unlimited internet for 6 bucks. Now he has everything a subscriber with AT&T would have. The internet with Tmobile is 56K, but Wi-fi works as well, so he only uses the 56K when he can't get a signal.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Xylitol, what you said is basically true BUT the evil empire (Apple) is doing their best to put a stop to that. Their latest firmware update pretty much disabled (ruined) all "modded" iPhones and some that had NEVER been touched.

I personally stay away from OEMs (like Apple) that try to "pigeon-hole" you into using only their "preferred" service. I use T-Mobile pay-as-u-go and spend about $100 a year for my service.