Question about the old & frail DFI nF4 Chipset (perhaps it will be nostalgic to some)

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by bladedwing, Nov 25, 2011.

1. hydroponik

hydroponik Senior member

Well to follow up on my progress, the VC-RF fan is too wide in diameter to fit inside the stock heatsink. I tried spraying some wd-40 on the stock fan, but it's still making noise.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.

I still want to pursue the first option of just replacing the fan, however in this day in age, it will be random trial and error ordering and returning fans from the internet.

If I were to just replace the whole thing, how does the heatsink get removed from the mobo? I see screws on the top, however I did not take the whole thing out since this was just a trial to see if I could even get the fan to fit.

2. hydroponik

hydroponik Senior member

Is there enough clearance for the video card?

3. Arcanedeath

Arcanedeath Platinum Member

I belive so this apears to be the same height as the VC-RE

4. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

5. hydroponik

hydroponik Senior member

Thanks for the help but I think I'm just going to upgrade. This system is pretty much obsolete at this point. Going to head to my local microcenter and just get an i5 3570 + as rock z77 extreme.

On a side note, is memory important for performance anymore or would any kit do for this system?

6. MacGyverSG1

MacGyverSG1 Member

2133 MHz memory speed seems to be the sweet spot for Ivy Bridge. 1600 is still perfectly fine. If you are going to MicroCenter, get the Samsung Green DDR3 1600 8GB (4GBx2) kit. It's 30nm low profile RAM 1.35v. It overclocks very well.

7. hydroponik

hydroponik Senior member

Crap, I already bought a g.skill ripjaw x from amazon since I had a gift card I didn't use yet. It seems to be compatible with the board, hope it's ok since I'm not gonna go crazy with the OCing...

8. hydroponik

hydroponik Senior member

Well I was able to change the order on Amazon, hopefully these sticks work with the board as they're not listed as supported on the Asrock site...

9. hydroponik

hydroponik Senior member

Just curious, for otption 2 (Vantec Iceberq (CCB-A1C)), since it does not have a speed sensing wire, how loud is this as full speed? Quieter than stock i hope?

10. hydroponik

hydroponik Senior member

Just wanted to let everyone know, the Vantec Iceberq (CCB-A1C) cooler works with this motherboard, but you have to remove the copper top fan guard. The holes are slightly bigger than what's on the board, but you can definitely fudge it to make it fit.

I downloaded CPUID hardware monitor so I can check the temps, does anyone know which sensor is the NB?

[​IMG]

11. bigboxes

bigboxes Lifer

Yeah, I did the same thing. Only I hated the DFI board. Ended up selling it, but I kept the Zalman ZM-NB47J cooler. It's pretty. I have a lot of old parts resting in boxes in my office.

[​IMG]