Question about the ipad and email

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by memory, Feb 10, 2012.

1. memory

memory Senior member

My uncle just got an ipad for work mainly to be used for emails. He has a desktop that is running Windows and is where he receives new emails and stores them.

I added that email account to the ipad with no problems. The thing is he is only able to receive new emails and can't see the older emails. And every new email does not show up, he has only one that showed up and that was sent from a blackberry. Why doesn't he receive every new email and should he be able to see all the older emails?

2. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

There is probably a setting somewhere to change how much it archives and how frequently it updates.

How did you connect it to his email? Exchange?

3. Patranus

Patranus Diamond Member

His desktop is probably set to delete the server copy of the message.

4. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

He should set up all of his devices to use IMAP.

MotionMan

5. memory

memory Senior member

When you say how much it archives, are you talking about the ipad or the desktop? I found the setting for how frequently it updates and it is set to check for new mail every time he opens it.

I selected other since Outlook Express is not on the list.

When you say devices, are you just talking about the ipad or does that include the desktop as well?

What I don't understand is he can receive some emails on the ipad but not others. I sent him an email from my desktop and he received it on the ipad but others only show up on his desktop through outlook express.

From what little I messed with the ipad, I must say I really like it. That was the first time I have used an Apple product and I am impressed. Now I am not going to run out and buy one since I don't need one. But if I was always on the go, I can see where it would be really handy. The only thing I don't like is the touchscreen.

#5 memory, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

All devices. That way they all act the same and all e-mails are available everywhere.

Without knowing how his devices are set up, it is hard to explain exactly why his e-mails acts the way they do. However, assuming all his devices are set up to POP and delete from the server, then whichever device checks for e-mail first after the subject e-mail is received on the server will get the e-mail and then will remove it from the server.

For example, if an e-mail is received on the server at 12:00 and the iPad checks for e-mail at 12:01, then the desktop, which checks at 12:02, will not get that e-mail.

MotionMan

7. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

You're right, except i didn't think the iPad had the option to reeve from server. But I haven't set up a pop3 account on an iPad in a long time.

8. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

If it is anything like the set up on an iPhone (I have never set up an iPad), you absolutely can remove from server.

MotionMan

9. memory

memory Senior member

He seems to be receiving all his emails now on the ipad.

He wants to be able to print emails but he does not have an Airprint compatible printer(Brother MFC-J630W). I have installed the Brother iprint and scan app but that does not allow you to print emails. I also installed the Print n Share pro app but I can not figure out how to add the email account.

Is there a simpler way to be able to print his emails? Is there a way to install his printer on the ipad.

10. Printer Bandit

11. dawks

dawks Diamond Member

Yea if you set it up with POP, the first device that connects to the server will download the messages then delete them from the server. The next device to connect will see an empty server with no new messages (unless a new message was sent since the last device disconnected). You said the iPad is receiving the emails now... if you haven't changed anything, then chances are the desktop wont be getting the messages because the iPad is intercepting them.

I use IMAP, which keeps the messages on the server, and the clients access them from there. That way each device is sync'd with all messages. Exchange will behave roughly the same way IMAP will.

12. memory

memory Senior member