question about stressing CPU

Apr 17, 2003
ok, after ocing, i know practically everyone runs prime to check stabitly. I play games and what not but dont do anything like FOLDING, is it enough to run 3dmark2001 loop instead of prime in my situation?

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
i do Prime95, then a little DiVX and then Folding@Home Gromacs Core using the -advmethods and -forecasm switches

infinite012

Apr 23, 2003
Something odd I just found out is that my Athlon XP 1700+ @ 2.2GHz isn't F@H stable with 1.525 VCore...It's stable in everything else (Prime w/one instance of 3dmark01se, gaming, every day use stuff), but folding just screwed my computer over. So, I would suggest running prime95 and folding/seti/genome together to test your stability.

Quackmaster

Apr 19, 2003
personally, I've found Prime, sandra Burn-In, etc to be just a good precursor to the REAL tests. Video encoding. I've had systems that will pass prime95 no problem, but the go to encode an AVI into DivX and my temps are higher than in prime and it's more likely to crash.

warm up with sandra burn-in, push it with prime 95 and 3dMark, outright torture and kill your cpu with video encoding or massive zipfile (rars, ace, whatever. compressed, comprende'?) batches.

$0,02

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
shady,

Go to www.doom9.net and pick up one of the guides to divx encoding...download the programs they link and then follow guide...it can be simple if you follow the guides...

Soon I will be building a "Divx For Stress Testing Guide" for the masses....likely will be posted elsewhere but PM me for the link....ETA on that may be by sunday night...

Quackmaster

Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Duvie
shady,

Go to www.doom9.net and pick up one of the guides to divx encoding...download the programs they link and then follow guide...it can be simple if you follow the guides...

Soon I will be building a "Divx For Stress Testing Guide" for the masses....likely will be posted elsewhere but PM me for the link....ETA on that may be by sunday night...

that sounds kick-a**. I definitely would like a heads up when you post that. :cool:

stippix

Mar 28, 2003
Hi!

Prime95 originally is a program to find Mersenne prime numbers.
In order to do so it has to compute absolutely correct values
using integer and floating point units, which is very stressfull for the entire CPU.
So there is an option called "torture test" which loads the CPU with heavy FFT tests
until you end the program - or it stops itself with an error message
giving you a hint what probably went wrong.
The results returned are checked for correctness.
If you run the program for for 12-48 hours without any errors then you can be sure
that there is hardly an other program that will be able to kill the CPU.

You can restart Prime95 every 8-12 hours because sometimes errors only occur
when programs are started on a heavy loaded (and hot) CPU -
e.g. a good test is to execute TaskInfo 2002 or 3dmark2001SE
just to see if it starts without errors - after that you can close it again (TaskInfo 2002)
or go for a 2 hours 3dmark2001SE bench if you like.
But remember if you start other programs Prime95 will pause because of its low priority.

CPU Burn includes six different benchmarks which are really going to toast you CPU -
especially BurnP5/P6, resp. BurnK6/K7. This programs created the maximum
ever measured temperature on my duallie system.
BurnMMX/BX are good memory stressers.
BurnPx/Kx are not checking the results - so you will not get error messages
if anything goes wrong (dito for memory tests).
In case of failure these programs simply stop running - if has not stopped after
12-48 hours everything should be okay with your system.

CPU Burn-In is a benchmark program which runs for a given time stressing your CPU.
You can enable or disable result checking - disable will toast your CPU a little bit more,
because the checking routines seem to cool down the CPU.
The stress put on the CPU seems to be less than reached with Prime95 or BurnPx/Kx.
In case of success the program gives a statement -
in case of failure the program simply stops executing, too.

It can/will be a good choice to start several instances of the stress tests,
e.g. running Prime95, CPU Burn/Burn-In twice can maximize the stress put on the CPU.
It is recommended to do so if you have a multiprocessor system, because every CPU
in your system should be stressed to the maximum ever possible.

Sandra is a program giving you all the information about you system you ever wanted to know.
It contains stress tests for the CPU, memory-, AGP/PCI-busses, harddisk, CD/DVD drives
and much much more ...
While each test is very good to configure so that everything you want to be tested can be tested
it simply lacks of real stress while running these tests - the CPU for example stays really cold
(up to 10-15 degrees) in contrast to Prime95 or CPU Burn/Burn-In.
If the tests succeed you get graphical results - if something goes wrong
the test executing simply freezes (sometimes the complete Sandra package will do).

Memtest86 is a simple but good memory tester - but it is only a tester.
It detects RAM errors, but it will not put any specific stress on you memory modules.
Run it if you think that you RAM may cause problems - but do not expect Memtest86
to find problems related to overclocking your memory.
For this case the are better programs (BurnMMX/BX or specific Sandra cache/memory tests).
You should run Memtest86 for at least 6-18 hours, so that it can do several rounds.

Very popular stress testers are programs like seti@home, folding@home, genome@home etc.
These programs heat up your CPU very well, but you have to remember that these programs
do not do any result checking - so your CPU may work and not crash, but you do not know
if the results computed are correct.

If you want to test your (overclocked) system you have to use programs checking the results
(for example Prime95).

That is also why 3d action games like UT2003 or BF1942 are not the best stress testers available -
of course they really heat up your CPU and toast your graphics card -
but are you sure you will see incorrect computed results or pixels for example?

Nearly the same holds for DVD encoding/decoding. It is really stressfull for your CPU,
but if the programs used do not quit because of an heavy error occuring during the coding,
you will only see that something went wrong afterwards if your video behavior/quality
is not what you expected.

Of course there are so much more stress testers out there and probably there will ever be
a program crashing your entire system, but you have to remember the most important thing
about stress testing:

If the programs you want to run every day for your normal work or fun run correctly
without any glitches, errors or unexpected results - then everything should be okay -
for you and your system!

Quackmaster

Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: stippix
If you want to test your (overclocked) system you have to use programs checking the results (for example Prime95). That is also why 3d action games like UT2003 or BF1942 are not the best stress testers available - of course they really heat up your CPU and toast your graphics card - but are you sure you will see incorrect computed results or pixels for example? Nearly the same holds for DVD encoding/decoding. It is really stressfull for your CPU, but if the programs used do not quit because of an heavy error occuring during the coding, you will only see that something went wrong afterwards if your video behavior/quality is not what you expected. Of course there are so much more stress testers out there and probably there will ever be a program crashing your entire system, but you have to remember the most important thing about stress testing: If the programs you want to run every day for your normal work or fun run correctly without any glitches, errors or unexpected results - then everything should be okay - for you and your system!

I agree about the "real world" programs part for stress testing (who wouldn't?), but I find that Just Prime etc doesn't cut it. I'm a FIRM believe that you need a variety of stress testers that do different things.

Example, I can play C&C Generals, 3dMark, Rainbow6- Raven Shield and DivX encode all day with no problems, but if I run Unreal Tournament or Chrome (admitedly, it's a demo with Chrome), then my box will crash. Not Prime, not Sandra, not DivX and not even combinations of the 3 simultaneously did that.

Like I said, test LOTS of things, but just like stippix said, make them real programs you'll use.

YoungChowFun

Feb 1, 2003
If u have the necessary programs:

Nero Burning Rom
Winamp
(Game) Unreal Tournament 2003
Powerdvd or Windows Media Player (to play mpeg file and such)

If I'm not running Prime95 or memtest, I run all these programs at once. I use just the 'simulation' burning for the Nero program. I play some songs through winamp to avoid the fan noise. UT2K3 eats up memory so that's why I use that. Finally, running a movie file also uses some of the CPU. I run all of these for a good 5 - 10 minutes.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Quackmaster
Originally posted by: stippix
If you want to test your (overclocked) system you have to use programs checking the results (for example Prime95). That is also why 3d action games like UT2003 or BF1942 are not the best stress testers available - of course they really heat up your CPU and toast your graphics card - but are you sure you will see incorrect computed results or pixels for example? Nearly the same holds for DVD encoding/decoding. It is really stressfull for your CPU, but if the programs used do not quit because of an heavy error occuring during the coding, you will only see that something went wrong afterwards if your video behavior/quality is not what you expected. Of course there are so much more stress testers out there and probably there will ever be a program crashing your entire system, but you have to remember the most important thing about stress testing: If the programs you want to run every day for your normal work or fun run correctly without any glitches, errors or unexpected results - then everything should be okay - for you and your system!

I agree about the "real world" programs part for stress testing (who wouldn't?), but I find that Just Prime etc doesn't cut it. I'm a FIRM believe that you need a variety of stress testers that do different things.

Example, I can play C&C Generals, 3dMark, Rainbow6- Raven Shield and DivX encode all day with no problems, but if I run Unreal Tournament or Chrome (admitedly, it's a demo with Chrome), then my box will crash. Not Prime, not Sandra, not DivX and not even combinations of the 3 simultaneously did that.

Like I said, test LOTS of things, but just like stippix said, make them real programs you'll use.

how about this....

Ran prime 95 for 12 hours looped in there with 2 hours of 3dmark2k1se....then 10 pass alltest cache on memtest86 with no errors...Run a divx program that tested fine at default and even a few hundred mhz less and it crashes in 10 minutes. Run divx stress test with other programs running or starting and closing. If divx made it 20 minutes or so but I started IE or a dvd movie it would BSOD. OK you are think dvx is a program often known for being buggy. So I run tested and proven apps like autocadd2002 (crashes durnig a rendering test file that it passes just 100mhz ago), Besweet mp3 encoder (crashes near endof 16min encoding).....

What I have seen with P4's and the new c1's with preftech is they often times seem to act like mine above...Thepossibility may be how the prefetch works and how that in return does not stress the cpu fully.

I always recommend run test programs at default speed of all comonents to insure they run bug free. The you have something to compare...

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Duvie

That would be awesome, and I'd definately use your guide, as I'm too lazy to learn something new. :)