Question about Sony vs Canon video cameras for file output ease of use

Wekiva

Feb 13, 2001
I need some quick input. I'm finally making the jump to high definition with my video in prep for a trip this summer. I've narrowed the choice down to the Canon HF S20 vs the Sony HDR-CX550V.

The question I have is on how the files from both of these cameras will play on my computer. I'm not sure how I'm going to be archiving all of these new, large files (I'm already missing the idea of simply putting a digi tape in my safety deposit box). For now I'll simply be keeping the native files on an external drive. The question is how I'll be viewing these videos later.

Do I need proprietary software to be able to view each of the camera's videos right out of the camera? Can Windows Media Center play either of the camera's files right out of the camera? I'm not one to usually plug up my computer with all the software that comes with the many gadgets that I get. But from what I've read I'm starting to think I may run into trouble with high definition video.

I want to understand if either the Sony or the Canon will output files that are easier to work with...or are the file outputs the same.

I do all of my video editing in Adobe Premier Pro CS4...will that be able to handle video from the Canon and the Sony?

Thanks

mossey

Feb 27, 2011
I can speak for the Sony. I just drag the files from SSD on the Camera and then view just like any other file. (Win 7(64). I have the Panasonic 3Mos SSD and it's awesome. Never liked Canon shit!