Question about software overclocking...

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I have a gigabyte p35-ds3 sometihing or other motherboard. I bought RAM, heatsinks, etc to be able to overclock, but never really had the need. I've start doing a lot of video stuff now and would not mind a little more power.

However, the PC sits a lot of times at idle and I don't necessarily want it to be constantly overclocked.

The gigabyte motherboard came with Easy Tune. In easy mode I can overclock 20% (Q9450@2.66 going to 3.2ghz) and haven't really pushed it more than that with the advanced mode. I like it because I can overclock when I need it and when I reboot I am back to stock speeds.

My question is Easy Tune a good program and is it really effectively overclocking the same as changing the BIOS? I can run other software and it shows the clock speed as 3.2 ghz for instance (core temp v0.99.4). It just seems to easy.

I guess I can always run some benchmarks. What would you recommend?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
No offense but it is hard to believe that you're being serious about your post, seeing you've been around nearly a decade with a 'Lifer' title.

In case you are serious (ugh) - just use the computer the way it is. It's how they make it these days (Turbo, Ultra, Mega, Xtreme, XXX-Large, etc.) and the minute you open the pandora's box you will only become miserable over time.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
do NOT use easytune to overclock, leave all settings there default. only use easytune to monitor your hardware.

go into your bios and overclock from there. that is the ONLY safe way.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: lopri
No offense but it is hard to believe that you're being serious about your post, seeing you've been around nearly a decade with a 'Lifer' title.

In case you are serious (ugh) - just use the computer the way it is. It's how they make it these days (Turbo, Ultra, Mega, Xtreme, XXX-Large, etc.) and the minute you open the pandora's box you will only become miserable over time.

No, it is a serious post. I've never really overclocked my hardware before. My last upgrade I made sure i had components that would handle overclocking. Bought the CPU from another user here and he told me what it could overclock to and be 100% stable.

I was curious about the difference of using software to overclock versus the more permanent changes in the BIOS. I am just trying to debate whether to set the cpu to run at 3.2ghz in the BIOS.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
do NOT use easytune to overclock, leave all settings there default. only use easytune to monitor your hardware.

yeh I may just do that. It is stable at 3.2ghz and I do not have to increase voltage.

HeavyD

Jul 2, 2007
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS

What he said you have far more control imo.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
I think we're pretty much in the same boat: I do enjoy the benefit of overclocking but I don't want it to be running at full speed as I don't need it.

Just set everything in the BIOS and have C1E enabled. In my case, my q6600 is overclocked @ 400mhz x 8 = 3.2Ghz but as I have C1E enabled, it runs at 2.4Ghz (400mhz x 6) most of the time.
What's great is that I don't need to adjust the CPU speed manually. Also, unlike the way you mentioned, as it's automatically managed, I do enjoy benefit of 'boost' effects.

Nahsavtoo

Aug 13, 2009
Well this is as close to my question as I can get so I will start here.

My question is:

Is there software that can be used from windows to effect BIOS settings for OC or is getting into the BIOS the only way I can affect it?

If so what are the software suggestions for doing this?

What are the Pro/Cons of OCing from the OS (like what is mentioned above) vs BIOS?

Nahsavtoo

Aug 13, 2009
Originally posted by: richierich1212
You can corrupt your Windows installation with software OC vs. BIOS OC.

Well that is a pretty big Con.

So if I have windows installed and use a software BIOS boot (if there is such a thing?) It can corrupt my windows?

Any other observations?