Question about Social Security numbers.

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
In the US, we get a number tacked on us when we're born. It's our Social Security number.
What do other countries have to the like?

Nomada

Banned
Apr 27, 2005
We up North apply for a SIN card(social insurance) whenever we feel like it. Most people around 14-15yrs.

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: shilala
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
branding
Tattoos would be good, too.

stuff like this would actually be a good idea for people with AIDs and what not

just a tiny lil one in some place on the body that people normaly wouldn't see

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: BriGy86
branding

or perhaps repeat sexual offenders

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
branding

they could just cut it out and claim they had a bad accident or something. otherwise it is a good idea. people with aids that sleep around anyway need to die STAT.

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Nomada
We up North apply for a SIN card(social insurance) whenever we feel like it. Most people around 14-15yrs.

Do you use that number when you pay taxes/apply for a job/go to the hospital, etc...

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
branding

It was a joke, dingleberry.

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Bigsm00th
branding

they could just cut it out and claim they had a bad accident or something. otherwise it is a good idea. people with aids that sleep around anyway need to die STAT.

branding might work better then

Nomada

Banned
Apr 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Nomada

Do you use that number when you pay taxes/apply for a job/go to the hospital, etc...

We use it to pay tax. That's about it. It's not tied to health insurance directly. Employers are not legally entitled to the info until you get the job, though it's often best to give it to them anyway.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
branding

Yes, a red X on the genitals would be relevant, but unfortunately far to fascist for this country.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
S.Korea

We use something called 'citizen registeration number(card)'. It starts with birth year/date then a unique number that starts with either 1 or 2. 1 indicates the person is a male and 2 indicates girl. This card is used as an ID and you're supposed to carry it with you.
It is used for everything and anything. It is even used when registering on a website.

It looks like this.

diablofreak

Banned
May 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Deadtrees
S.Korea

We use something called 'citizen registeration number(card)'. It starts with birth year/date then a unique number that starts with either 1 or 2. 1 indicates the person is a male and 2 indicates girl. This card is used as an ID and you're supposed to carry it with you.
It is used for everything and anything. It is even used when registering on a website.

It looks like this.

similar system used in hongkong. though the letter that precedes the number tell whether you're born there, or if from china or if you're not a permanent resident, etc

i think many countries don't have a system like these or the american's. Indonesia for example, I don't think a correct death toll can be given to the people who died in the tsunami because one of the reason being that they were never registered with the government, local or national, when they were born... but please correct me if i'm wrong

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
branding

If one sleeps around and they transmit the disease while knowing they have it should be charged with a felony.

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: cobalt
branding

If one sleeps around and they transmit the disease while knowing they have it should be charged with a felony.

yup, there was a basket ball player a while ago that did that, he was either in MN or one of the dakotas i think

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
In the US, we get a number tacked on us when we're born. It's our Social Security number.

We have the same thing (Canada)... same number of digits even, but it's called Social Insurance Number... but it's not as important to us. Infact, it's odd for a Canadian to actually know their SIN (VERY rarely use it... once you land a job, taxes, are the only 2 i can think of... htere might be more... maybe opening a bank, but i don't think that's even require). Whereas for an American, it's part of their identity. I know when i worked for Sprint Wireless, one of the indictors you could tell that somebody was scamming was if they had a hard time recalling their SS number, or needed to go look it up. I even set up parents who were setting up accounts for their kids... and knew their kids SS and not their birthdays (seriously).

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Looney

We have the same thing (Canada)... same number of digits even, but it's called Social Insurance Number... but it's not as important to us. Infact, it's odd for a Canadian to actually know their SIN (VERY rarely use it... once you land a job, taxes, are the only 2 i can think of... htere might be more... maybe opening a bank, but i don't think that's even require). Whereas for an American, it's part of their identity. I know when i worked for Sprint Wireless, one of the indictors you could tell that somebody was scamming was if they had a hard time recalling their SS number, or needed to go look it up. I even set up parents who were setting up accounts for their kids... and knew their kids SS and not their birthdays (seriously).

Hah, I just memorized my SSN a few months ago. But whenever I'm using it for something official, I still double-check it.

My dad still has to look his up :p

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

I guess I was born when I was sixteen.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I really don't understand how people in the US can *not* have their SSN memorized... it seems like it's required all over the place... it sucks.

MrsHoneybee

Dec 29, 2002
In Australia it's called a Tax File Number - it is also 9 numbers. You give the number to your employer for tax purposes, earn interest on savings or investment accounts, and when paying the tax office. The current tax free threshold is $6,000.

When I first came to the USA I applied for a SSN about a month after arriving here. It is used for so many things.