Question about shuttle box with bad mobo.

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
A couple months back, I bought and installed a media card reader. I discharged the system, myself and all that. When I turned it back on after installing the reader (to the USB header on MB), everything went south. Nothing worked like it should, random reboots, etc. I did all the normal stuff, tried without HDD, CDROM, different ram sticks, etc, etc. Tried a fresh install of W7 and XP, nothing worked.

Found the same model barebones system for sale and bought it, hoping it was just the PSU and I could swap that and have everything work, but that wasn't it. Anywho, ended up moving all my stuff, CPU, RAM, drives into the new system and it's all beautiful. I'm now convinced that something happened with the MB.

So, I could either find the same MB for this box (not likely), send it in and pay to have it repaired, or part it out. But what I'm here to ask y'all is, which would you do? The only "partable" thing is probably the PSU, maybe the HSF. Are the cases good to anyone, or can other MBs be purchased that are compatible? It's still a good looking machine, but worthless without a MB. Just thought I'd see what you folks thought I should do with it.

Thanks!

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
shuttle uses proprietary motherboards.. so unless a person wants to mod the case, they are limited to shuttle motherboards.

if its really that old, say 2+ years then i would not bother repairing it. maybe check ebay and see if you can find a cheap replacement motherboard.

Psychosylph

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2002
Yeah, you're in a bit of a tough spot if you have a dead mobo in a Shuttle rig. You could try to replace it through ebay or Shuttle if it isn't too old; ebay is almost your only option if it's more than a couple years old. On the plus side, though, you can usually replace it with a few different boards like putting a board from any G series rig into any other G series rig, or putting a board from a G2 series rig into any other G2 series rig, you just need to pay attention to the external ports and make sure they are the same (if you care about them being functional).

You should post your model here and in For Sale/Trade and see if any person comes along that maybe has a compatible part or wants a case.