Question about segregation

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
7,354
3
0
I was just watching some stuff my TiVo picked out for me and saw an ad for this Lifetime original movie, "For One Night." Apparently it's about this highschool where they have two proms; one for white students and one for black students. Some girl played by Raven Symone tries to merge them into one prom, blah blah blah... anyway, I thought maybe it was set in the 1960s or something, but I spied an flat panel display in one of the scenes, so it must be modern-day.

This brings me to my question: Are there actually any schools that still practice this kind of segregation? I'm not too familiar with real life race relations in the south and thought it might be possible that this kind of thing still goes on down there.
 

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
3,691
68
91
Yes there are still schools like that. I remember reading articles about it around a year ago. It's done by choice of the students. (or actually I think it's the choice of the parents)

Search around for some of the articles, I don't remember too much about them.
 

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
6,021
18
81
I would think that if that sort of thing still happened today, the school in question would be sued into oblivion.
 

Warthog912

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
1,653
0
76
A few years back there was a story about this. So to answer your question, yes, as of a few years ago, select schools still "segregated" their respective proms. To my knowledge, it was the student/parents doing, nothing to do with the school.

Link

CNN Link
 

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
26,271
7
81
Originally posted by: bthorny
Fraternities in some colleges are still segregated.....

All fraternitites are segregated. All non-caucasian frat members are considered "token."
 

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
3,676
0
0
When I went to elementary school the schools were segregated until the early 70's.

Ironically, the reunions are segregated.
 

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
63,089
12
76
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Warthog912
A few years back there was a story about this. So to answer your question, yes, as of a few years ago, select schools still "segregated" their respective proms. To my knowledge, it was the student/parents doing, nothing to do with the school.

Link

CNN Link

i remember when it was in the news, good find
 

HBalzer

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2005
1,259
1
0
can you imagine if someone married out of their race and brought them? that would be something to witness.
 

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
7,354
3
0
Originally posted by: jemcam
When I went to elementary school the schools were segregated until the early 70's.

Ironically, the reunions are segregated.
Well that seems like it makes sense... presumably people of the different races wouldn't know each other if they were integrated. Kinda defeats the purpose of a reunion.
 

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,796
0
0
Originally posted by: effowe
I would think that if that sort of thing still happened today, the school in question would be sued into oblivion.

private schools can do that
 

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
4,040
13
81
Quite often you see this done by the black community but in those cases it isn't considered news.